Finnish army jumpers

Moderator: Pirkka

Royalecosse

Finnish army jumpers

Post by Royalecosse »

Can you take a gander at this pullover that my mother in law kindly knitted for me and let me know if it is similar to those worn by Finns under their winter tunic?

I suspect the wool is much better quality than the originals but hopefully the overall feel of the original is there?
Attachments
DSC03278.JPG
DSC03278.JPG (141.84 KiB) Viewed 11906 times
Jugend Repper

Re: Finnish army jumpers

Post by Jugend Repper »

looks ok they was made in diffrent factorys and mums would make for the sons
Wenn ich dumm bin, lassen sie's micht entgelten;
wenn ich recht hab, wollen sie mich schelten. Goethe
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

I'm not entirely sure, but these might be post-war jumpers.

A lot of the soldiers used their home made jumpers. Just try and find a old looking one, for example jussi-villapaita. They could be anything like these:

This last one is a pullover used by men from Pohjanmaa-region, which is in the western part of Finland. Called Jussipaita, Jussi-paita, Jussipaita, Jussi-villapaita or whatever. :D
André

Post by André »

Yes Finnish soldiers really was issued nearly look-a-like pullovers. But, however, army's situation with material was quite poor. Homefront sent lot of home-made pullovers to their soldiers, just like Bauer said.

Here is basic army-issued pullover:
Attachments
villapaitakuva.jpg
villapaitakuva.jpg (72.93 KiB) Viewed 11679 times
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Also, home made items tended to be warmer and they were made with love :) It was always nice to have something that reminded you of home.
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

My jumper came from my mother in law so certainly made with love but UK is still far too warm to use it (yet). The jumpers you show remind me of the shetland type styles, very similar! I have other Swedish jumpers which feature hooks at the front, did the Finns ever have similar jumpers?
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Do you have a picture?

I am pretty sure that if it is swedish/finnish/norvegian jumper with traditional style, you can use it. There were all sorts of different styles and they were rarely dependant on where you came from (with the expection of that Jussi-shirt).
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

We found a wartime issue jumper in the Flee market in town for 2.50€ this one had a black band
ImageImageImageImageImage
Richk98

Post by Richk98 »

We found a wartime issue jumper in the Flee market in town for 2.50€ this one had a black band
:mrgreen: :twisted:
Rich
Kyrl

Post by Kyrl »

Hello guys,
I'd like to have more info on the use of these jumpers.
I have seen photos of finnish soldiers wearing the issued grey jumper while resting or other things, but was it also worn in combat situation at the front?

Same question for the types of pullover you have posted. I'm asking because I found these pictures of Winter War soldiers seeming to wear pullovers with high collars under their whites:

So I was wondering if it was correct for a Winter War impression to wear just a handmade/issued pullover/jumper under the white camouflage?

Thank you.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Well, when it's cold, a pullover is good. Tends to get hot, but if you have overcoat (jacket, tunic, anything) you can just wear jumper and the pullover. You dress according to the weather and the mission. Guarding in cold -> lots of clothing, attacking in cold -> not as much, but still more. During warmer days, you'd obviously would wear less clothing. So it's up to you and weather wether to wear one in combat or not. On windy days wearing just jumper under your snow jacket isn't a good idea, as the wind goes right trough the jumper and you will freeze :)

Also, some soldiers used "kauluri", which is basicly just the neck part of a turtle neck pullover. Also, as said before, if you don't have issue pullover or can't get one, just get a civilian one. They were used a lot back then, especially during winter war when there just wasn't enough clothing for all the men.
Kyrl

Post by Kyrl »

Thank you for the answer.

The info about the "neckwarmer" made with only the collar of the turtleneck pullover is very interesting, i didn't know.
I undestand that it was during the Winter War that the shortage of uniform was the wost? I know that many men did not get complete clothing and equipment, so I suppose many lacked a m36 jacket or trousers?
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

These kauluris are still used by the finnish army, quite handy when you want to keep your throat warm but don't want to be too hot otherwise :P

Finnish army saved money before winter war, so large scale production of uniforms started only just before the war, so most men went to war with issued army belt and army cockade, rest of their clothing being their own civilian clothing. Luckily quite quickly they also got the snow camouflage uniforms, so their look was "unified".
Kyrl

Post by Kyrl »

Thank you, I have found some pictures of these Kauluris, I see how it looks like now.

But I was wondering: what king of civil headgear did these men use with the army cockade before possibly receiving a m36 cap?
Heinz O. Kaufmann

Post by Heinz O. Kaufmann »

Civil fur hats and caps.

This uniform style was known as "Malli Cajander" (model Cajander) because of finnish prime minister Cajander and his savings from the finnish defence budjet lead the reservist to use their own clothing, because the state did not have enough military uniforms for every one.

I tried quickly find some shop that would sell similar fur hats but found none. Hopely these pictures help you out.

Edit: her are few pictures more: Image Image

Return to “Finnish Discussion”