Ankle Boots

Moderator: Pirkka

Kyrl

Ankle Boots

Post by Kyrl »

Hello guys,

I discovered the existence of some sort of black "ankle boots" apparently used in Continuation and Lapland wars.
I have these two pictures:

I never managed to find a photo of a soldier wearing these.
Do you have any info on these boots? What is their exact name? Were they frequently used? Or limited to some specific units?
Thank you very much
Peter Bauer

Re: Ankle Boots

Post by Peter Bauer »

They are british world war 2 boots. Finland got or bought them prior to or during the Winter War. They were used, but were not as common as regular jackboots.

Can't remember anything else, and couldn't find any more info right now...
Kyrl

Post by Kyrl »

Thanks for the quick answer!
This is interesting, as the british model of ammo boots without toe cap (as these finnish boots seem to be) is a ww1 model. So there is indeed a good possibility Britain send these boots during Winter War to help!
But the problem is: the black leather anklet.
It would mean it is separate from the boot? Because as far as I know the british boots look like that, there is no anklet:
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

The anklet&gaiter is part of the boot. I don't think it was added to the shoes in Finland, so I believe it must be some rare model then...? But basicly they are always said to be "british boots" so I would believe they must be some british model then.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

May I observe that these are Ordnance Officers boots, and were intended for use by commissioned officers in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps - which handled storage and transport of munitions. As officers' equipment they were not issue, but were available through the ROAC depot supply system, having been manufactured according to contract. Not quite 'private purchase', which implies that officers could have bought them 'to pattern' on individual order from suppliers of their choosing.

According to Brayley and Ingram Uniforms of the WW2 Tommy (page 122) they were not popular. Officers in other arms of service may have 'borrowed' them They should not be confused in B&W photgraphs with the motorcyclists' boots ('don-R boots') that have similar uppers but a different toe and are black (but this may not show). Here's another pair:

Could this be a hint to the origins of the boots..?
André

Post by André »

Finns used this model of British shoes:

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

they are Motorcyclists boots despatch rider as they are known in the British army
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kyrl

Post by Kyrl »

Thank you for the infos.

I've already checked the mortorcycle boots, but all I found was this model, which seems far too much high:

So have you any precise reference on the model used?
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

here is the boot from the side
Kyrl

Post by Kyrl »

Well I am quite in a dead end there.

I have all the british reenactors I know who keep telling me that this model of boot doesn't exist, at least without a modification of one kind or another.

They say the motorcyclist had either the high boot mentionned before:

Or simple british ammo boots with a specific kind of gaiters like this:

But nothing about any ankle boots. :|
Royalecosse

Post by Royalecosse »

This is an old post now but just watching "Dad's Army" (a British classic!), the Home Guard are equipped with these boots (the Captain has the normal British Army issue clothing whilst the rest wear leather belts etc).
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

They have leather gaiters it was 1940 pattern I think made due to shortage of canvas

Return to “Finnish Discussion”