My FJ Impression is taking shape... Pics this morning..

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

geoffpara

Re: My FJ Impression is taking shape... Pics this morning..

Post by geoffpara »

As long as the display at the public event had good information boards and was well displayed showing that it was depicting an Italy scenario and that well informed reenactors were on hand to talk to the public I don't see there being a problem.
Don’t agree with you on that Paul as we take about 70% of the available information in by visual means; that is by looking. How many visitors attending public displays actually come up to an ‘informed’ group member to ask or discuss things, particularly in depth? I would suggest very few in comparison to overall numbers. Of those who do ask questions how many would ask about beards? That means a lot of people will have made assumptions based entirely on what they’ve seen in passing the display. That is beards were acceptable for fallschirmjaeger with no differentiation between theatres or time period in the war.

The wearing of goatee beards is one of those subtleties that not all members of the public would be aware of and we are risking misinforming them. By all means show copies of the original pictures but make sure there is a short description highlighting this was a trend noticeable in Italy (and by some in Russia) and didn’t conform to military regulations but more likely from a relaxation of those regulations locally.

I think GRFJ takes the best approach by adopting the norm rather than the exception, which if I recall correctly was your own policy when running a group.

Geoff
carentan

Post by carentan »

It is certainly a relevant discussion point that every group (lone individual impression) has to decide on it's self. We try to represent a microcosm of what FJR6 typically looked like in Normandy or Holland etc. We have ratios of smocks or boots that were worn in a specified scenario, so that you don't get 10 guys turning up wanting to wear type 2 step-in and one type 3 splinter.

The more unusual is also worthy of depicting these guys were after all only human, the public may not be aware of certain things but there is certainly space for doing it. Your impression should also be about yourself and your own knowledge as well as for the public.
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
mikebie

Post by mikebie »

I agree.

I think group policy should dictate the impression at an event and there is distinct merit in representing the general impression. The danger with exception is that a monster may be created that is neither one nor the other and lets face it, if everyone did 'the exception', there would be some serious defending/explaining to be done!

Anyway, most of the groups I know have strict policies in this regard and it shows in the end.

Nice work on the impression, kamerad!

Horrido!
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

Wow, beards!!!

I only did these pics to get a feel for how my FJ kit is moving along, I put a bit of effort in as there is nothing lamer (IMHO) than just standing in your garden next to your BBQ in kit!!!

Or worse in your room with all your dragon dollies!!!!

Ive got some white riri plastic zips to put in the sumpfmuster smock, I will replace the snaps with proper ones as well.

As for the beard.... well i always shave it off when in uniform!

Oh ive lost a bit of weight since these pics were taken as well, so an even better profile!
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”