Tank hunter Vet at Beltring

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

carentan

Tank hunter Vet at Beltring

Post by carentan »

We had the priviledge of meeting Wolf Schulze at the War and Peace show this year. He make his way through the woods and introduced himself as 'a friend'.

Wolf served with FJR6 as a tank hunter in Normandy where he was wounded in the Falaise Gap and became a POW. He was sitting on the lead tank after teaming up with some W-SS tankers, when a shell burst hit in front of them. He was captured and treated by Canadian troops. Wolf spent time in US and English POW camps before his release where he married and settled, he didn't return to Germany as his home town was near Leipzig in the Russian half of Germany.

We hope to see him about at future shows.

Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
Jager Roll

Re: Tank hunter Vet at Beltring

Post by Jager Roll »

Great Photo. See if he is interested in being in honorary member of your unit. We have ours, Rupert Metzroth (We have a dedication page for him on our website). It is nice having someone to correctly answer questions about your unit (No one could ever dispute what he says)

Tim
www.fjr3.com
carentan

Post by carentan »

He had some very good observations of our impression. He thought we had too many SMG's, that's the trouble with doing all day skirmishes you have to rely on your own weapons which tend to be blank firing SMG's. He also said they had very little use for stickgrenades by Normandy, egg grenades had taken there place. They used to fiddle around with the screw on caps when bored during guard duty.
carentan

Post by carentan »

I heard back from him this morning, he's pretty sure he was given a STG44 to test out in Normandy. Only fired half the mag and it jammed, it was taken away after that.
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

Hey I met him twice that day! He asked if I could speak German and where I was from. then he asked the location of the 6th Regiment (yes not FJR6, but just "das 6. Regiment") and I gave him the direction, but as he crossed the streets Inoticed he had difficulties with the mud and I warned him that it would be difficult.

later that day he was glad he had met you guys, you could notice that and he was proud of the barret he had on his head, something he didn't had in the morning. I thought you gave that to him, or did I understood that wrongfully?

Grüss,
Olivier
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
carentan

Post by carentan »

Thanks Oliver.

That's correct, one of our guys brought the beret with him and kindly gave it to Wolf.
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

carentan wrote:He had some very good observations of our impression. He thought we had too many SMG's, that's the trouble with doing all day skirmishes you have to rely on your own weapons which tend to be blank firing SMG's. He also said they had very little use for stickgrenades by Normandy, egg grenades had taken there place. They used to fiddle around with the screw on caps when bored during guard duty.
Superb. This is what meeting the guys that were actually there is all about. The little things that reference books often over look. Can only help make peoples impressions all the more original in the future. Great work lads you've done your group and the hobby in general proud.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”