After all less is more!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers
Ross
The Green Devils Of Carentan
2.Kp.1st Batl.FJR6.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Yo Ross!
Me not being a Fallbones I know but I can give you an answer.
It seems LH in general is now moving swiftly away (in some sectors) of the stack it up and lay it out style of LH display

I'd say that the public too are becoming more savvy and so an encampment of say, ten blokes, sporting chairs, tables, Yowj tents, 9 MG42s, 11 MP40s, radios, pictures of the kids, rardyrardy rar.... Is not cutting the mustard anymore.

Our crazy mob of reprobates as loads of kit. The urge to show it off all at once is big. But we are tending to theme a display and bring different stuff to different shows. That way we get variety, the public gets variety and the organiser gts variety. It also means we can be more authentic (Whatever that word means) and not pile our motors up as much (well - that's the theory!)

So - the one liner is - Yes.
But the caveat is - You still have to juggle public and member interest.

Good thread.... Be interesting to see some more answers and gauge where we are in fact going....
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

Paul
i think he means personal kit not displays.
to many reenactors get kitted out to the nines with every piece of kit going. easiest thing to do is look at the photos of the period youre reenacting. You very rarely see grenadiers carrying all their kit and i guess this goes with all the other services also.
Regarding authentic displays if we all went down that line there would only be a line of zelts, not much for the paying public to look at so the mops would go away unhappy and the events wouldnt be that chuffed either i guess.
So groups including mine have to stretch the lines of belief otherwises there be feck all for the mops to see. :wink:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Well I guess you're right - Personal kit - By all means have it with you but just wear what is expedient for the situation portrayed. No good having a chute on if you're doing a Normandy thang!

As for "stretching belief" I agree..... Apaart from owt else, Where woudl we sleep or live like 21st C peeps out of public hours?????? It's bad enough trying to keep modern to a minimum as it is..... Any fool can be uncomfortable.... let's haev a bit of comfort...
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Depends on the scenario you are depicting, if its a prepared dug out/trench then less on you and more around you. Combat patrol, weapons, grenades and as much amo as possible, take your water botle and e-tool for hand to hand drop the rest. Horses for coureses really.

Paul
FJR6

Post by FJR6 »

Hello,
unpopular reply: it depends.
At Indiantown I could observe many German troops going into action loaded up with everything except the kitchen sink.
It surely depends on the scenario, but if you look at many paratrooper photos taken in action, right before or after the action, you will see next to no additional equipment besides weapon, ammo and maybe breadbag and canteen.

If you're doing a display for the public, though, there is no problem, having men to show in full gear, maybe even ready for a jump, next to ground combat or Stosstrupp types who have nothing hanging from their belts. You could show the full variety from textbook theory to brutal fact. Have some laminated prints of original photos available so the mops can compare what's on the pictures to what they see before them.

best regards,
Volker[/img]

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”