bandoleer time line

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

Pyotr

bandoleer time line

Post by Pyotr »

Does anyone have a rough time line of the types and colours of the FJ k98 bandoliers? I see tans, olive, field grey, field blue, splinter b and tan and water. Are all these legitimate? Early war with two snaps, some with rounded flaps, some with straight then angled flaps, some bright blue, and all of course absolutely correct for everyone.

What is the order of manufacturing? How much over lap was there (bu this I mean, I assume blue was first, and then F-G, the Splinter then tan and water, but when was each started and stopped?

Sorry I don't think I have a good enough idea of the production to even ask a good question!
Patrick
christiandbn

Re: bandoleer time line

Post by christiandbn »

Hi Patrick,

First and foremost I must say that I've never seen a Tan and Water bandoleers. The only one's in camo that existed are the Splinter-B ones.

As per timeline, pre-war bandoleers, matched the very first pattern smock and were in green.

Early in the war, the Blue versions starting showing up, first with trapezoid flaps, then rounded flaps. These were very prominent for Crete campaign and common in North Africa as well.

Predominantly in 1942 and 1943, the Splinter-B variations were common. I believe these were mostly procuded by the time the 3rd pattern smock was being produced. Ideal for mid-1942, 1943 impressions

The last variations of these were in yellow / light olive / mustard - scraps really. These are commonly referred to as Tropical bandoleers but I don't think this is an adequate name for it. The earliest dates I've seen on these are 1943. Ideal for late war impressions.

Hope this helps :)
The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies
Pyotr

Re: bandoleer time line

Post by Pyotr »

Thanks Christian
I am always sorry that things can be made now that were not made then. I have never seen a photo of a tan and water bandolier, but thought it worth asking about. I like the grey-blue and the tanish/scrap the most. But they are harder to find.

Patrick

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”