Erkennungsmarken

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

Westerwald

Erkennungsmarken

Post by Westerwald »

Guys

Have done a bit of research that implies that FJ didn't wear the normal unit type tags and would just have a series of numbers.

Would like to know more as FJR2's Belgian website shows their repro tags in the standard format.

Thanks

Steve
paulmfjr2

Re: Erkennungsmarken

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Its not an easy thing to research as every unit had a different number, and these changed as the war progressed. Sometimes the same number would be used by different units at different times. Apparently a book with the full listing was privately published many years ago, but those that have a copy guard the contents. I would suggest looking on the wehrmacht awards forum, there are examples of original dogtags on there. You can ask for a number for a particular unit and hopefully someone will help you.
Westerwald

Post by Westerwald »

paulmfjr2 wrote:Its not an easy thing to research as every unit had a different number, and these changed as the war progressed. Sometimes the same number would be used by different units at different times. Apparently a book with the full listing was privately published many years ago, but those that have a copy guard the contents. I would suggest looking on the wehrmacht awards forum, there are examples of original dogtags on there. You can ask for a number for a particular unit and hopefully someone will help you.
Thanks Paul.

I recently found a web page that had a list of unit numbers. I can't remember where it was offhand but I have saved it on my laptop so will have to look again.

So, are you saying that the number format is correct and the standard format tags that FJR2 (Belgium) show on their site are incorrect?
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

The Fj had a 6 digit numbering system. This may have changed very late in the war when the Fj had no parachute role and were used as elite infantry, especially when replacements where coming in from the Kreigsmarine and Luftwaffe ground crew. But to my knowledge it stayed the same.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

As far as i have researched, FJ were classed a flight crew. so erkennungsmarken they wore had training/replacement depot number, the individuals personal number (6 digit) and a single letter blood group. Some may have had a letter for their religion. (c for cathiolic for example).

Regards,

Gary
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”