My 1/6th Scale RC Stuart

pzrwest

My 1/6th Scale RC Stuart

Post by pzrwest »

My only WW2 non German tank
My Stuart arrived this afternoon and I love it. Now comes the fun part customizeing it. Here are a few pics of it.

Stuart Update:
Well I've started to work on my Stuart. Here I have removed the side skirts and re-shaped the front and rear fenders. I've also moved the power switch to under the over hang at the reat of the tank. Still alot of work to go. Have to remove the molded remains of the side skits on the tank hull sides, and fill in the opening above the front drive axels. Here are pics of the work so far.
pzrwest

Re: My 1/6th Scale RC Stuart

Post by pzrwest »

Stuart Update:2
Here is the next update on my Stuart. I removed the stubby barrel and the rocket firing mechanism. I bored out the rear section of the barrel to accept a new barrel made from a section of an old fiberglass fishing rod. The taper on the rod was very close to the dimensions of the scale barrel. I glued it into the barrel jacket using some JB Quik . I also changed the angle of the barrel where it comes out of the mantlet so it was at 09 degrees to the face of the mantlet and parralell to the 30 cal. I may glue an insert into the new barrel to simulate the correct thickness of the wall of the barrel. Here are the pics of the new barrel:
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Harold that is a big tank , look forward to seeing how you progress on her , as one who has hands for nothing I am always respectful of the great jobs men like yourself turn out.
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

I wanted to see how the tank looks with a figure in it but don't have an American or Brit figure so used the next best thing.... my Marius figure. I will have to modify the interior of the turret to use figures with it. Anyways here are the latest pics
Stuart Update:3
I decided to make some changes to the barrel and add recoil to it. I removed the rocket firing trip mechanism and altered it to use it as a recoil mechanism. I removed the white nylon wheel and made one from some scrap plastic from the tank. I added a ball link and and arm. I cut the exhisting fish pole barrel by cutting it at the barrel expansion section. I then found another section of fishing rod section that slide inside the remainder of the other barrel. I added a section of plastic rod to which I glued an actuating arm and connedted it to the ball link arm. Here are pics of the new mechanism.
I also removed the bulkhead just ahead of the gunner and commanders hatches. I then re-assembled the turret for a test of the recoil mechanism. Works pretty good. Here is a link to a video of the barrel recoil in action. Comments welcomed....
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/pz ... il004b.flv
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Brilliant workmaship, its a credit to you.

The 37mm recoil looks great too, compares well with a full scale vehicle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcXyPxZq23Q
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Great stuff Harold you have more patience than me mate.
Lots of good ideas here for people that want totake up this side of the hobby.

Cheers
Dave
:D
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

I found a cheap way to add lights to my Stuart. I found these clip on bright LED lights at the Dollar store and thought they would be great for makeing working headlights for my Stuart. The first two pics are of the light before and after disassembly
the next pic is of the reflector and lense glued into the front section of the headleght section
The next pic is of the headlight prior to glueing the rear section to the front section
the last two pics are of the headlight finished.
All that is left to do is install the headlights back on to the hull and connect to the switch and battery pack for them. I will post pics of the switch and battery pack instalation when I have them assembled in the tank
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

I received two American tankers yesterday from a chap in Toronto and here they are in the tank. Their helmets appear small in my eyes but then I don't know very much about American stuff. Their clothing is from 21Century from the sewn-in tags. The helmets, goggles, boots, and bodies I don't know who made them. Anyways here they are in the tank.
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

Update:
I decided to remove the growsers from the rear of the turret and opt for a seamless joint so I removed the lower section of the rear turret wall from the the turret base and glued it to the upper turret section and filled the holes left from the growsers with sheet styrene, then I re-enforced the joints with some scrap sheet styrene. After the joints had dried over night I then proceeded to fill the joints with auto spot putty and then sanded it smooth.
Next I removed the shield from the right side of the turret and sanded it out to remove the extra thickness. Still need to prime and check for scratches and blemishes
missyd

Post by missyd »

Very nice work. I bought one some time ago .... but I did not like it because its 100% made of plastic .... wanted to add some extra pieces and make it into a nice model ..... I gave it away as a birthday present .....

Nice parts for it can be found: http://www.armorpax.com/
Ci vediamo
Daniela

Dove c'e' da Rievocare noi Rievochiamo - Dove c'e' da Ricostruire noi Ricostruiamo
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

Update:
Well my Stuart is progressing now. It's painted and some wear and tear on it. It's now a Stuart from the 1st Hussars Recce Troop. I've added a deck on the back of the turret and replace the external 30 cal with a better detailed one. Didn't have any 30 cal belts so for the time being I'm useing a 8mm belt. I put a couple items on the rear deck(platform) just for takeing the pics, will load it up with correct gear etc later. I'm in the middle of makeing a stowage box for the back of the hull and will post pics of it when it's done.
PS... Wife wasn't pleased when I cut about 3 inches off both chains for our Kookoo clock.... but it was the only chain I could find at the moment...
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

as always Harold looking good
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Computer Games, Modelling and Wargaming”