Reproduction Gebirgsjager rucksack at last!

Moderator: les hearn

peiper1944

Re: Reproduction Gebirgsjager rucksack at last!

Post by peiper1944 »

Oberleutnant Ulrich wrote:I think we know how and where to test them Stabsfeldwebel :twisted: and it gives an even better excuse to get out there for some hard core mountaineering ;)
Fair play :wink:
Ive re-read this ressurected thread, if you are going to charge up and mountains
with a pack of gear on your back then the repro (a good one) is the way to go
but for the rest of us who just "re-enact" and need to look the part i'll still say
an original is what you want, after all most of us just leave them on the display
tbf in England, also not many of us here mountain climb, not just that but you can get
most of your money if not more back from an original if you decide to sell, you wont get
that with an expensive repro, the end of the day its your money/your choice but an
original example is a better investment imho :|
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

The only real GJ reenactor is a mountaineer :wink:
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
SOT(D)

Regarding the ATF Ruck

Post by SOT(D) »

The only real GJ reenactor is a mountaineer :wink:

...sorry, can only cut and paste...have not figured out how to present a previous quote in the nice little box. Probably helps if one reads the How-To section.
However, following this logic, 99% of the E company/506th abn reenactors should be wearing leggins and ankle boots!! As a long time EM, jumping and climbing, I used to mumble and mutter about wannabes in reenacting (try reenacting Gebirgsjaeger in FL!! hmmmml, we do have lots of abandoned phosphate quarries!), then had my son point out some years back that I was not in the Army any longer, so was I not also playing soldier like he was. Hmmmm out of the mouths of babes! I am having fun with the above quote, for if we did not have some esprit, then everyone may well just be reenacting the 595th Underwater Messkit Repair Bn (prov). GJ is more fun than standard impressions, even FJ...we don't have to wear the washbowls!

Regarding the ATF Ruck: I talk with Gina a lot...every couple of weeks (can never get to Rolin these days, even though we were in the same units in the Army, and the same reenacting unit in the late 90s...he is alone atop the ATF throne!), and have learned about the Rucks. Some of this is in his depiction, but, the materials are mostly cut in the US, and with the hardware, is sent overseas for construction. The manufacturer under contract does very good hand stitching, with proper weight cord/thread. The assembled rucks are sent back for fine tuning and inspection. No spare parts are left over...if components for, say 50, are sent, 50 rucks come back. Nothing left to knock off. As with all ATF gear, the "mil-spec" requirement is there, and it's use afield is the endpoint.
I sew, and do leatherwork, have made M-31 rucks,and have a beater ruck (small flap, single pocket...Wein 1940) that I have considered rehabbing. However, as others have said, the tear will find it's time and place. Then have to fix it again. I love sewing, but reenacting has reached a point wear you can literally obtain ANY piece of German fieldgear that you could wish for. A far cry from 1979, when original pieces were common, and repro German uniforms were hard to find...Columbia and Janke were it, and EXPENSIVE. So that is why I am getting an ATF Ruck. Heck, I may just get one of those Youtube Rucks! Somebody needs to, for to paraphrase the vile paragon of all things wrong in th US, nancy pelosi (no caps on purpose), "you need to buy the rucksack to know whats' in it".
I love field kit, and even if it is not so great, it still can find a use with the new guy in the unit...make him long for another run of ATF rucks. They tend to make gear in limited runs, to keep from getting stuck with too much excess. Good business... keep the customer wanting.
If I do get a youtube ruck, I will get a review up quick.
Mike

...yeah, youtube is easier than trying to remember how many Us, Ns and Hs are in the proper spelling!
11th RGT/6thSS Nord- 1/508th PIR
1/5thSFG-3/20thSFG-3/11thSFG
-always looking for details on Nord IDs and soldbuchs
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Just press the button at the end of each post that says "Quote" in order to get the Quote box.

Haha, you will find however that with a lot of us hardcore Gebirgsjäger we are quite proud of our Edelweiss' and feel they should be earned through events such as Project Edelweiss ;) ...we're a bit of a special type of reenactor that's not going for a blat fest, but to cross glaciers and scale cliffs to reach great peaks in our beloved Alps.

Well, if you want an original M31 in excellent condition, I have one for sale ;) better than any ATF you'll get.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”