China-made Bergmütze

Moderator: les hearn

Heeresbergführer

Re: China-made Bergmütze

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus Halle,

Yeah, that's my favorite early war model Bergmütze...wish there was a decent repro that style.

Mit einem kameradschaftlichen Horrido!

Papa
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

That first one is great, just screams "quality" could you maybe get a close up of the wool? That seems to be made from some really, really nice wool.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

This is pretty much the ultimate Bergmütze that I would love to own. Munich depot contract cap, 1939. Photo via collector Ron C.
Halle

Post by Halle »

Nice cap , thanks for sharing . Yes , you can tell the quality of the wool , same as that one of Papas' .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Looks like the internal stiffener has made it onto the production version of the cap on the eBay listing.
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Received the latest version of the mountain cap today. Lots of improvements. Biggest: the sizing issue appears solved. I ordered a 56-1/2 and my cap fits perfectly.

Leather sweatband is increased in size from 30mm to 35mm and color is now a nice shade of reddish-brown.

The cap stiffener is present.

The way the side-flaps are attached is now correct -- previous versions had a pronounced downward 'step' just aft of the visor. This step is now eliminated.

The ridge formed by the attaching of the upper and lower visor fabric is now on the top of the visor rather than the underside.

The interior of my cap is a dark grey satin/rayon. I think this is the fabric used on their 'elite' mountain cap. My recommendation was for grey cotton. I don't personally care for the satin but it's personal preference. The production caps still appear to have the tan cotton interior -- which IMO is better than the satin

The makers stamp has been rotated so it can be read with the visor pointing down rather than up. Simple change. Mine still shows 1943 as a date. I recommended it be an earlier year since this pattern wasn't really being produced by that point.

Externally the cap is unchanged. The 'step' mentioned above was hidden by the earflaps so the correction isn't visible. The other items are all internal changes.

My only remaining issue is likely confusion in my description to the vendor. The way the leather sweatband was attached on my earlier caps put a lot of tension on the leather and the sweatabdn didn't sit in the cap properly. I think my description of the problem confused the vendor and the lining/sweatband attachment at the forehead area is actually about 1cm in from where the visor is attached to the body, causing the body of the cap to try and sit in the same horizontal plane as the visor rather than being 90-degrees to it
Halle

Post by Halle »

I see his cap eagle is also stitched to prevent fraying - ill certainly be getting one of those ! :D
Halle

Post by Halle »

Received my cap ( manufacturer as above ) today - I can say that this is of excellent quality , perfect fit ( asked for a 60 , it's spot on ) , very very good value , and highly recommended 8)
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

I have to say that this cap even beats Schuster! I wish the leather band came up a bit higher, but other then that...top marks!
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
SOT(D)

Post by SOT(D) »

Same-same! Got mine today and all the accolades as everyone else. I ordered a 61, but a 60 would be better. had bad luck with sizes when buying from the Chi-coms. This one is a great hat, and the fake buttons even look nice. I will get a 60 and give the 61 to my big headed son!
11th RGT/6thSS Nord- 1/508th PIR
1/5thSFG-3/20thSFG-3/11thSFG
-always looking for details on Nord IDs and soldbuchs

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”