China-made Bergmütze

Moderator: les hearn

FtrPlt

China-made Bergmütze

Post by FtrPlt »

I was looking around eBay and saw there were some Bergmützen listed for sale by a vendor in Shanghai. I've ordered an example and will post my opinion, once I receive it.

I was very surprised to see that the crown attachment being the correct double-seam type. The full leather sweatband is another nice touch. I'm not sure what the wool quality will be like.

Overall, my initial impression was that it appears a reasonable attempt at a 1939-41 contract cap.

I hope other makers take note of the crown attachment. Seller ID: 3_reich

Oberleutnant Ulrich

Re: China-made Bergmütze

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Looks to me China is getting better and better....

But the prices have also risen.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
grenadier Biermann

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Yes I agree with you both guys ,you may definitely get proper stuff from them and for generous price ! Without any tags saying : Replica ,Perfect replica or Economy -What is this shit !!! :evil: :twisted: For me replica means replica !!! Correctly made of course and if not is a party costume and this is nothing to do with reenactment !!! Because reenactment is a correct replica without any doubt Am I right !? :wink:
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Sorry, bt I'm not quite clear with what you're trying to say here :?:
Arthur

FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Oberleutnant Ulrich wrote:Looks to me China is getting better and better....

But the prices have also risen.
I'm not sure how others feel, but I would be more than willing to pay a higher price for an accurate copy. The issue has always been that most of the suppliers have shown no interest in updating their patterns. Pretty disappointing that a Chinese-made copy is the first to actually attach the crown properly. This should have been addressed and corrected decades ago. Now the game of catch-up will begin .... hopefully.

I've always paid $65+ for the various repro Bergmützen I've had so the Chinese cap at $42 ($32 + $10 postage) is still pretty inexpensive. They also had a version in HBT which also appears to have the correct crown attachment and it was only $26.
Halle

Post by Halle »

Just looked at my Schuster.ru Bergmutze - it's double stitched on the crown too , and has a sweat band, $30 . In fact , they look surprisingly similar , though Schusters peak profile is slightly higher . Odd , his Berghosen seem to have turned up at Hiki shop too , though without QUITE the same level of detail .... :wink:
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Schuster is still better, I can see that already. I just like the sweat band here better. Also, at the moment, one has to wait some time to get their stuff from Schuster...
Arthur

Halle

Post by Halle »

You're not wrong there Herr Leutnant.... :o :wink:
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

I prefer the 1937-1940 contract produced caps that were procured through the Munich depot. These caps came froma variety of makers but all have maker stamps with an "M" -- usually right before the contract year, e.g. M37, M38, etc.

Aside from usually being made from very high quality wool (compared to issue M43s), they share the following traits:
- internal stiffener
- full leather sweatband, usually tan
- double-seam crown attachment

Knowing there are now at least two manufacturers producing the cap with the correct crown attachment is encouraging.

Both the schuster and chinese caps still have some obvious flaws but the crown attachment is really a major leap forward with these caps.
Last edited by FtrPlt on Tue May 28, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grenadier Biermann

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Oberleutnant Ulrich wrote:Sorry, bt I'm not quite clear with what you're trying to say here :?:

Sorry I'm a Philosopher that is my weakness :cry:
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
conrad uno

Post by conrad uno »

FtrPlt wrote:I was looking around eBay and saw there were some Bergmützen listed for sale by a vendor in Shanghai. I've ordered an example and will post my opinion, once I receive it.

I was very surprised to see that the crown attachment being the correct double-seam type. The full leather sweatband is another nice touch. I'm not sure what the wool quality will be like.

Overall, my initial impression was that it appears a reasonable attempt at a 1939-41 contract cap.

I hope other makers take note of the crown attachment. Seller ID: 3_reich
I bought one of these earlier in the year - this is what it looks like after applying insignia and changing the buttons. My impressions of it are that the wool is quite thin, I think the overall shape is quite good - certainly very different from an average M43 cap. However, the underside of the bill is cotton backed - not sure how accurate that is...
bergmutze2.jpg
bergmutze2.jpg (170.9 KiB) Viewed 12927 times
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Still with thinner wool there can be an upside; great for warmer events. I've got some China made stuff just for that reason, after some home made mods, they look great.
Arthur

FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

conrad uno wrote: I bought one of these earlier in the year - this is what it looks like after applying insignia and changing the buttons. My impressions of it are that the wool is quite thin, I think the overall shape is quite good - certainly very different from an average M43 cap. However, the underside of the bill is cotton backed - not sure how accurate that is...
I'll write a review of my cap when it arrives. The recent eBay photos show a wool underside to the visor so there may have been some revisions since you purchased your cap?

There does appear evidence to support the use of lining material used on the underside of the visor. At least 3 caps from 3 different makers bearing the Munich depot "M42" stamp have wool on just the upper visor surface.

added: I've been corresponding with the vendor in China and they have agreed to make changes to their pattern -- at least for my cap. Nothing drastic but I think the end result will be noticable.
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Received some photos of the cap in the revised pattern. The pebbled buttons have been replaced by wooden ones approximately the same style as the steinnuss type. I suggested they be stained a darker brown. Overall, it looks much improved. The front arms are taller which allows the buttons to be spaced out a bit more.

Revised pattern on top, original eBay photos below. The vendor is very receptive to improving the design.

ImageImage
Goethe

Post by Goethe »

FtrPlt wrote:Received some photos of the cap in the revised pattern. The pebbled buttons have been replaced by wooden ones approximately the same style as the steinnuss type. I suggested they be stained a darker brown. Overall, it looks much improved. The front arms are taller which allows the buttons to be spaced out a bit more.

Revised pattern on top, original eBay photos below. The vendor is very receptive to improving the design.

ImageImage
Excellent improvments! Are these going to be for sale, or is this just a custom job for you? I would definately pick up a 'revised' cap.

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”