China-made Bergmütze

Moderator: les hearn

Goethe

Re: China-made Bergmütze

Post by Goethe »

Just checked his page and he now has the 'revised' cap up for sale!

Definitely a good looking reproduction for a fraction of the price of some 'top end' places.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-German-WH-G ... 4d0cb44f07
Halle

Post by Halle »

Yup , I have to admit , it looks good , and for that price , well worth it .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Hmm...says that for me the listing is not available.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
Halle

Post by Halle »

Try sun_military Herr Leutnant ...
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Works now, thanks Stabsfeldwebel :)
Arthur

FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

My repro Bergmütze arrived today so I'm now able to compare the old design with the newer, improved model. To be honest, the changes involved are minor, although noticable.

Overall level of quality is pretty good. The wool is slightly lighter than I would expect to see in an original cap and is probably also lighter than other repro vendors. It's not unrealistically lighter weight, just a bit lighter -- maybe 10%.

The front of the cap is raised .5cm to 9.5cm and the rear of the cap increased from 7cm to 8cm. The ear flaps are 7cm at the back and 7cm along the side to the turndown. The front arms are increased from 4cm to 5cm. The pebbled 13mm buttons are replaced with 15mm wooden buttons. The rounded front arm has been extended slightly so the end extends out past the buttons a little farther.

The lining, visor, and other features of the cap remain unchanged.

Overall the basic look is much improved, in my opinion, and does a decent job representing an issue cap, circa 1939-41.

I plan to replace the buttons with more appropriate steinnuß buttons.

Downside:
Sizing is off. I wear a size 56.5 and ordered the same. The first cap received was easily 2cm too big and the cap just received is also too big, although somewhat better. I haven't measured yet but I'd guess it will measure out to be a 57.5cm or 58cm. Hot water will bring it down to the needed size however this issue needs to be resolved before I would recommend buying one.

Upside:
The vendor appears to honestly want to improve the design so I don't think there will be an issue further refining the cap. Things I like:
- the crown attachment being the correct double-seam is a huge plus, in my opinion.
- visor shape is good and the interfacing seems like it will hold up well (that's the piece between the upper and lower woolen pieces)
- full leather sweatband is decent quality and should hold up well

I've offered up some additional changes, including adding the front stiffener. I'll keep you up to date on how that develops.

Last edited by FtrPlt on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Thanks for the update, excellent work! This is greatly appreciated by us others.

If this keeps up, I think most of my purchases now will be China only... :shock:
Arthur

FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Here's the current version of the cap (top) compared to their original offering (bottom). As already described, just minor changes to the height of the ear flaps and front arms but they make a large visual difference.

FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

I've already replaced the buttons with steinnuß (no photos yet) and the cap has been put in hot water and dried to shrink it to a usable size. The wool and leather sweatband held up fine.

My remaining suggested changes:
- front stiffener
- lining color to grey (more common color, IMO)
- sweatband leather to reddish-brown
- delete the cloth loops on the underside of the earflaps
- the 'ridge' from the seam at the front of the visor should be on the top, not bottom, of the visor.

ADDED: revisions in progress. This is the vendor's current version with the stiffener present.
conrad uno

Post by conrad uno »

FtrPlt - You've certainly done all GJ re-enactors a big favour by getting the vendor to update his patterns...

I've just noticed that he's now listing two different types of wool EM Bergmutze - your modified version seems to be the cheaper of the two !

While we're at it a word of warning about steinubb buttons - mine have fallen off their brass backings after getting soaked in a downpour - the wood must have swollen :o
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

I probably have the same buttons you do -- orange-tan color with an inset brass fitting? I've not had an issue with mine .... yet. I'm working with a different vendor to get some original-style buttons made. The most common wartime button is made from a single piece and the attachment is simply drilled through the material.
conrad uno

Post by conrad uno »

FtrPlt wrote:I probably have the same buttons you do -- orange-tan color with an inset brass fitting? I've not had an issue with mine .... yet. I'm working with a different vendor to get some original-style buttons made. The most common wartime button is made from a single piece and the attachment is simply drilled through the material.
If you are able to get a source for one piece buttons let me know...
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

conrad uno wrote:FtrPlt - You've certainly done all GJ re-enactors a big favour by getting the vendor to update his patterns...

I've just noticed that he's now listing two different types of wool EM Bergmütze - your modified version seems to be the cheaper of the two !
I appreciate your kind words. The real kudos go to the vendor for accepting and implementing suggestions for improving his product.

The sizing issue appears to be sorted out. I'm expecting a revised prototype to ship within a few days so should have more to report in about a week or so.

There's no such thing as a perfect repro cap but at least these will have the major features that distinguish them from the M43.
Last edited by FtrPlt on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Grüß Di' Bergkameraden,

I ordered one of these China-made caps last week....looking forward to seeing what version I end up with and how it compares with my originals.

ImageImage

Berg Heil und Horrido!

Patrick
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Halle

Post by Halle »

I really like that first one Papa 8)