Youchunhe 2008 rucksack

Moderator: les hearn

SOT(D)

Youchunhe 2008 rucksack

Post by SOT(D) »

I had noted that I had ordered one in another thread. It arrived and in good time as I will be able to take it to the field this weekend. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230878285158?ss ... 1497.l2649

If you are a purist, who like me shall be hoping for an ATF ruck when they are available, read no more. ATF rucks will be limited, and it will be back to waiting. This item, despite it's flaws, is, and has been available.

There are pictures on the HIKI site that pretty much lay out the details. The fabric is alright. It is a rough weave similar to their breadbags. The construction seems sturdy. I already packed it, and festooned with a blanket roll, canteens, gas mask canister, and an e-tool sticking out, I hit the trails near home.

It is comfortable, but the straps connecting the bag to the shoulder straps could be a bit longer.

Everything fit well, from the wind jacket in the top flap, to clothes, stove, mess gear and other sundries.

All hardware is decently painted, but how the finish holds up remains to be seen.

Straps and fittings are sewn in a correct manner.

FAULTS

The main shoulder straps are cut and assembled nicely, but the black finish is terrible...a tacky sealer of some sorts. Makes me remember when ATF released the "M-39 peeler" Y-straps in the SALE section. They had a sealer applied, which had a tendency to peel off. The feel of it detracts from the historical high from getting a GJ ruck.

Hole in the shoulder straps are not right. They are small circular holes, not ovals. The simple hooks which attach to ammo pouches, are nice, but the holes are too small to lock on them. A rotary leather punch fixes that.

The heart shaped leather anchor mount for the shoulder is made using incorrect cuts of leather. Certain portions of the hide have specific uses, depending on the purpose needed. Cut from the belly, strapping will stretch out of shape, and have no strength. This part is rubbery...Really, I grab a d-ring, and shift it, watching the leather flex in all the wrong ways.

Some of the closure straps are of that funky "water buffalo hide" that RC at ATF speaks of, regarding foreign made gear. Some other HIKI gear has this peculiarity... some straps will be properly done (smooth brown side down, and good finish on the top, while others are black through and through. Perhaps the hide of those elusive Naugas?

No maker marks.

So, despite it's flaws, I like it. Mind you, save for a Train museum event, I do not do any display-type events. I got this for use at tactical events and to live out of it on those rare occasions. It will be supplanted by the ATF ruck, but it is also good as a loaner for newbies. I will contact Youchunhe 2008 HI and offer suggestions, but in the meantime, it is a not bad.[*]
Last edited by SOT(D) on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11th RGT/6thSS Nord- 1/508th PIR
1/5thSFG-3/20thSFG-3/11thSFG
-always looking for details on Nord IDs and soldbuchs
Halle

Re: HIKI SHOP rucksack

Post by Halle »

Servus ,
Is this the Rucksack described as Wehrmacht artillery rucksack / gebirgsrucksack ? Reading your post , I had a quick look on his site , and could find only this .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
SOT(D)

Re: Youchunhe 2008 rucksack

Post by SOT(D) »

Stefan,
You are correct! I screwed up and noted it originally as a HIKI shop item. Thankfully, one can edit posts after the fact. Hmmm re-writing history, as it were. Just like obama!
Thank you for pointing it out my friend,
Mike
11th RGT/6thSS Nord- 1/508th PIR
1/5thSFG-3/20thSFG-3/11thSFG
-always looking for details on Nord IDs and soldbuchs

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”