GJ trosers

Moderator: les hearn

Alex C.

GJ trosers

Post by Alex C. »

Hello friend,
i'm Alex. I'm looking for some tips on the GJ uniforms of Reichswehr and Wehrmacht eras.
On Angolia's Uniforms and traditions of the German Army i read that the Gebirgler of the Reichswehr wore a pair of special trouser similar the breeches of the mounted troops as well as the usually Kniebundhose. I'd like to know if they really existed or not because I didn't find any other reference about it.
Please let me know.
Regards,
Halle

Re: GJ trosers

Post by Halle »

Right , the following image is taken from ' The German Reichswehr' , Schlicht and Kraus. Sorry it's not a great image , but it illustrates perfectly the trouser/sock combination worn by the Gebirgsjager on mountain exercises. You can just make out the leather patches on the knees of the chap sat outside - essentially the same trousers worn by the Alpenkorp in the first war . Outside of exercises , GJ wore pretty much what the regulars wore, a close fitting set of breeches with three buttons below the knee, often with long Wickelgamaschen . The M36 Berghosen were adopted around 1936....

Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Halle

Post by Halle »

Same book , shows artillery and infantry , this time with normal trousers and Wickelgamaschen , and some with the patched trousers - its hard to make out the difference in these black and white pics dated 1925 .

Alex C.

Post by Alex C. »

Hello Halle, many thanks for your reply, very instructive.
Did the Reichswehr Gj's troop wore the Kniebundhose? In the Wehrmacht I know that this ankle pants were worn by the Hochgebirgstruppen and not by the normal GJs
Halle

Post by Halle »

Hi Alex ,
I think the kniebundhosen was generally worn on mountaineering excercises , not active service. I'm not sure whether the Reichswehr period saw them in use, but I don't see any reason why not. A couple of pictures from Roland Kaltennegers book ' Spezialverbande der Gebirgstruppe 1939-1945.

There's a difference in the two sets of kniebundhosen - the second picture shows guys in kletterhose , close to a civilian style , whereas the NCO at the top is wearing more the pattern you're talking about I think .
Halle

Post by Halle »

Guy at the bottom again wearing the Bergwacht badge ...
Halle

Post by Halle »

Guy at the bottom again wearing the Bergwacht badge ...

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”