Excerpts from Training manuals...

Moderator: les hearn

SOT(D)

Excerpts from Training manuals...

Post by SOT(D) »

Question...does anyone have scans of illustrations from climbing related training books? I am setting up some skill training for my group. For safety's sake, contemporary ropes and harnesses/gear will be used, but, I wish to show them how things were actually done, for possible use at dog and pony shows and public events.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Michael
11th RGT/6thSS Nord- 1/508th PIR
1/5thSFG-3/20thSFG-3/11thSFG
-always looking for details on Nord IDs and soldbuchs
Halle

Re: Excerpts from Training manuals...

Post by Halle »

Taschenbuch für das militärische Bergsteigen is what you need , still available on eBay.de I believe.

Don't use contemporary ropes and harnesses in period uniforms, you'll look ridiculous. They're not used on Project Edelweiss.
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
SOT(D)

Post by SOT(D) »

This is training for my group, and not a photo fest, so the use of modern ropes, whether laid or kernmantle, is not an issue, other than for that of safety. This has no relation to P.E., and makes no pretense of that. This is more of taking years of mountain warfare training and experience, and putting it to use, as I did as an instructor in SF.
On that note, does anyone manufacture laid ropes that are acceptable for historical use?
Halle

Post by Halle »

SOT(D) wrote:This is training for my group, and not a photo fest, so the use of modern ropes, whether laid or kernmantle, is not an issue, other than for that of safety. This has no relation to P.E., and makes no pretense of that. This is more of taking years of mountain warfare training and experience, and putting it to use, as I did as an instructor in SF.
On that note, does anyone manufacture laid ropes that are acceptable for historical use?

If you're using modern ropes , and harness, fine , go ahead and train people in mountain skills.

If you want to recreate something, however, recreate it .

I refer you to my earlier answer , Taschenbüche etc. , it has everything in it you need .

Ropes with modern stress equivalent , made from period materials , are available , manufactured in France I believe. I will make enquirys if you wish ?
SOT(D)

Post by SOT(D) »

Yes, I would appreciate any information on ropes made, that can be used without any embarrassing imagery resulting! I am also looking for the book mentioned.
SOT(D)

Post by SOT(D) »

Found one! However, no image was available, and it was a reasonably priced paperback. I take it that it is a reproduction of a wartime manual? I would think so, since it is also listed on the GJ manuals list, here on the GJ forum...
Halle

Post by Halle »

Yes , it's a repro of an original, paperback .
SOT(D)

Post by SOT(D) »

Thanks, Steve, for putting me on the track of that book. What of the Swiss Avalanche Rope (red?)...is that something that is available? Dumb question, since I could check myself...but since we last talked, back in 2013/14, I started working for the city...Stormwater dept, and in Florida, that is a very busy job! Hence, the limited time spent on-line....except for those two months off for a work injury!
Anyhow, I can look myself, but it is always good to get pointers from expert collectors, especially here.
Halle

Post by Halle »

I haven't seen Swiss avalanche rope for sale for quite a while - I'm in Switzerland in January, I'll see if there's any in the surplus stores - nice to have you back , nice to see you doing practical mountaineering :D
SOT(D)

Post by SOT(D) »

...practically!

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”