Gebrigsjäger and Bergfuhrer badges

Moderator: les hearn

Franz repper

Gebrigsjäger and Bergfuhrer badges

Post by Franz repper »

The Gebrigsjäger badge was inroduced on the 2nd May 1939 and was to be worn on the right upper arm 16cm from the shoulder seam on the tunic, and greatcoat by all qualified Gebrigsjäger .The badge was made up of a embriodered Edelweiss Flower (with white petals and yellow stamens) and a pale green stem and leaves .Surrounding the Flower was a matt grey twisted mountaineering rope with a silver -white spike and ring (piton) this was all worked onto a dark green oval background a copper brown Afrika Korps was all so produced
If you look you can see the badge on the arm of the Gebrigsjaäger on the left

The Bergfuhrer Brest badge
The Bergfuhrer badge was a coveted award as well as a mark of the wearers Proficiency,worn only by Heer mountain troops who acted as a mountain guide ,and had one year s qualifying experience in this role.This badge was introduced by an order dated 10th August 1936 and was to be worn on the lower left brest pocket.It had a silver with gilt centred edelweiss flower ,without a stem set in a small white enamelled oval rim bearing the words HEERESBERGFURERin Gothic lettering on the lower half of the rim
Edelweiss Cap badge
Like the arm badge was introduced for wear on the 2nd may 1939 it was introduced in 2 styles one for the Mountain cap (Bergmutze) and the Schirmmutze ,The Bergmutze edelweiss was made of white metal with the center showing a yellowish metal .Thiswas to be wornon the left side of the Bergmutze ,thestem of the edelweiss was to be set at an angle of 45 deg to te lower edge of the cap and positioned with the tip of the sem 2.5 cm above the lower edge of the cap and 2 cm from the back of the cap peak

The badge is for qualified mountain guides in the Waffen-SS Gebirgstruppe and was introduced in late 1944,It came in te form of an oval patch with a Edelweiss flower and the legend BERGFÜHRER Mountain leader This was worn on the left breast pocket the one shown here is the enlisted mans pattern and was machine embroidered, officers pattern was the same design but in hand embroidered silver and gold bullion
The Edelweiss tradition Badge introduced for the use of Waffen SS mountain troops in October 1943 this is the other ranks Pattern officers again had the same design but in hand embroidered silver and gold bullion
SS cap Edelweiss other ranks again the officers was hand embroidered silver and gold bullion. The Heer equivalent was produced in metal this can be seen worn by Waffen SS troops but was not that common
ImageImageImageImageImage
gebirgsjäger100

Re: Gebrigsjäger and Bergfuhrer badges

Post by gebirgsjäger100 »

Which is the best copy of the Heeresbergführerabzeichen in the market now?
Hurra, die Gams!
3./GJR 100
Come and visit us at http://gjr100.blogspot.com/
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

gebirgsjäger100 wrote:Which is the best copy of the Heeresbergführerabzeichen in the market now?
Greets Albert!

Ive bought mine at the beginning of the year - how You like it ?? Costs me some 30$

War, war never changes...

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR
gebirgsjäger100

Post by gebirgsjäger100 »

Looks quite good! The only thing you have to be carefull is that the needle is thik enough. I lost one because of that!
Hurra, die Gams!
3./GJR 100
Come and visit us at http://gjr100.blogspot.com/
Welsh

Post by Welsh »

So correct me if I`m wrong the BERGFÜHRER badge is sewn onto the left pocket.

Was a mountain leader in the forces so thought it was correct to wear one.
"Forward as One"
Maleme

Post by Maleme »

Yep, left pocket...An ML, fantastic! Were you at Stonehouse?
PK.-Bildberichter.: Meyer.
Oberjäger-Gebirgstruppe
Fotos für Presse und Propaganda.
Berlin SW 68
Lindenstraße 38
Telef. Sammel-Nr 17 3988-89
Welsh

Post by Welsh »

Did all my ML training at Towyn, then returned to do Top Rope and Abseiling training then Rock Climbing.

Was based with the outward bound unit in HMS Sultan, but did spend time at Capel Curig.

Thought it was ok to wear one.

Jeff
"Forward as One"
Maleme

Post by Maleme »

I think so to! :D
PK.-Bildberichter.: Meyer.
Oberjäger-Gebirgstruppe
Fotos für Presse und Propaganda.
Berlin SW 68
Lindenstraße 38
Telef. Sammel-Nr 17 3988-89
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Welsh wrote:So correct me if I`m wrong the BERGFÜHRER badge is sewn onto the left pocket.
Was a mountain leader in the forces so thought it was correct to wear one.
Gruss gott kameraden :D
The Bergfuhrer badge (see above: the black cloth type)
was an SS variety and was worn on the right sleeve :wink:
The Heersbergfuhrer badge (metal and enamel type), was worn
on the left pocket but sometimes was worn on the right if there
wasn't room, ive seen pics of it being worn on either pocket. :D

Regards P. :wink:
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus Bergkameraden,

Here are a few visual examples of the Heeresbergführer badge being worn:

First GJ on the left...wearing it on his right pocket with no medals on his left pocket:

Heeresbergführer mit Jägerbart...HBF badge is on the left pocket to the right of the wound badge:

And below the left pocket:

Berg Heil und Horrido!

Patrick
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Welsh

Post by Welsh »

So would I be wrong in sewing this badge on my left pocket, I have the correct sleeve one on, but was told this signified a Mountain Leader and as quoted " BERGFÜHRER Mountain leader This was worn on the left breast pocket" from previous post at the begining.

Thoughts pse.
"Forward as One"
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Welsh wrote:So would I be wrong in sewing this badge on my left pocket, I have the correct sleeve one on, but was told this signified a Mountain Leader and as quoted " BERGFÜHRER Mountain leader This was worn on the left breast pocket" from previous post at the begining.
Thoughts pse.
Berg Heil Gebirgs 8)

The black cloth Bergfuhrer Edelweiss badge is for SS Mountaintroops and is worn on the right sleeve,
as far as iam aware and judging from pics and refs i have seen. :wink:
If you look back at the pics on this thread you all also see the normal black cloth SS type without
the Bergfuhrer wording this is also worn on the right sleeve and just signifies SS Mountain troops.
If you are portraying Werhmacht Mountaintroops and you are a Bergfuhrer, you would wear the
metal/enamel version with the Heerbergfuhrer wording, and as seen above is worn on either pocket,
according to personal choice it seems.
I did read that because the Heerbergfuhrer badge was held in such high regard it was to be worn above
any other badge on the left pocket, and if there was no room it was to be worn on the right.
(See picture of mine below, portraying an SS-Unterscharfuhrer from the SS Mountaintroop Regt, SS Handschar.)
SS Handschar Unterscharfuhrer.jpg
SS Handschar Unterscharfuhrer.jpg (27.3 KiB) Viewed 26386 times
Regards Peiper :wink:
Heeresbergführer

Servus Jäger Jeff und Bergkameraden,

Well, I will admit that I am no W-SS expert, but I have been reading my reference books for the past 40 years. Here's a clearer picture of W-SS Gebirgsjäger cap and sleeve cloth Edelweiß, as well as the W-SS Bergführer cloth badge, according to Roger Bender & Hugh Taylor's book "Uniforms, Organization, and History of the Waffen-SS:"

I hope this clears things up for you Jeff.

Mit einem kameradschaftlichen Horrido!

Patrick
Kompanie Chef

Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Bergheil Heersbergfuhrer :lol:
My badge (see above) is in the wrong place then? :roll:
SS Handschar.jpg
SS Handschar.jpg (125.12 KiB) Viewed 26385 times
Whats this?, :? if my eyes are decieving me the SS-Gebirg at the front seems to
be wearing his Edelweiss on the right hand sleeve :lol:

Auf Weidersehen :D
Heeresbergführer

Grüß Di' Peiper...Yes, the W-SS cloth sleeve Edelweiß is worn on the right sleeve...the confusion seems to be over the W-SS Bergführer cloth badge which is worn on the left pocket not the right sleeve as you stated. But like I said, I'm not a W-SS expert. So I defer to your expertise.
Peiper wrote: The black cloth Bergfuhrer Edelweiss badge is for SS Mountaintroops and is worn on the right sleeve,
as far as iam aware and judging from pics and refs i have seen.
Kompanie Chef

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”