Gebrigsjäger and Bergfuhrer badges

Moderator: les hearn

42gunner

Re: Gebrigsjäger and Bergfuhrer badges

Post by 42gunner »

Graxlhuber wrote:Dear readers,
I'm not a friend of displaying something that I haven't the qualifications for or even better people do not know what it meant to be in such a liability as they were. Don't get me wrong but I think that has to do with respect for what people did or do.
Best regards,
chris
We all understand that, some of us already meet the requirements as we have gone to military schools of such a grade, or some civilian program...But still if history doesnt go along with it, you really cant re-enact early 1944 battles and have a badge that wasnt issued till later.
very late 1944 and 1945 is a little re-enacted time frame (eastern front) to my knowledge in the USA atleast. Ive seen many Fruhlingserwachen events in Hungarian villages. But at that point in the war, who would care to be sewing new badges that might denote their higher status. Especially in the south east where most of the SS-Gebirgs were, everyone was trying to get to the western allies and pass off as regular Wehrmacht soldiers, and escape from the Yugoslavian government that wanted justice from the SS members

The coolest badge of all, the Bandenkampf, merely came out in 1944. Another thing you wouldnt want entered into your Soldbuch.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Kamerad Peiper
The Gebirgsjaeger Edelweiss and the Bergfuhrer insignia are two separate devices. The Edelweiss signifies gebirgstruppen and is worn as per regulations on the upper right sleeve midway between shoulder seam and elbow.
The SS Bergfuhrer insignia was worn as a further grade to indicate leader status and was sewn on to the left breast pocket of a tunic.
As already mentioned in this thread, the award (for that is what it was) was only introduced in Okt.44 and as a result very few were issued/awarded. It was a proficiency award much like the SA Sports Award and had to be maintained by regular tests etc.
The Army award differed in that it was an enamelled, pin backed badge which was also worn on the left breast pocket although many did in fact wear it on the right pocket due to the amount of awards already occupying the Left. This award predated the SS one by eight years and was instituted in an order dated 10 Aug 1936. IT was for Heerestruppen qualified as a Mountain Guide with 1 year's experience in the role.

You are confused as to the function of the two badges it seems - They are not supplementary versions of one badge - They are two different insignia indicating two different things. 1 - belonging to Mountain Troops. 2 - Being a Qualified Mountain Guide.

Hope this clears things up a little
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Papa you are correct in what your saying , Herr Fwbl Grink I am so proud of you :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImageImage
42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

Source: Italian Volunteers of the Waffen SS by Richard Landwehr
Perhaps this was the requirement to wear the badge.
Where Landwehr got his info he didnt cite.

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister »

Last edited by Jägermeister on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Are the real ones expensive?

Regards

Jonny
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus Jägermeister,

It's an ok copy, but has many inaccuracies...though the Edelwiess is the nicest one on the market. Biggest misses are that the badge backing should be brass, the HEERESBERGFUHRER lettering should be black, and the pin is all wrong on the back.

And for Johnny and others...real Heeresbergführer badges...if you ever find one for sale...usually are in the 3,000 to 5,000 Euro range. One must realize that only 380 of these badges were ever issued during the war and being a Mountain Guide is a time honored profession so badges were kept, plus this is one of the few German badges without a Swastika on it.

Berg Heil!
PK
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister »

Last edited by Jägermeister on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heeresbergführer

Servus Jägermeister,

I would have to say that the Heeresbergführer badge that Nicholas Morigi sells is the closest on the market.

http://www.nicholasmorigi.com

Berg Heil!
Kompanie Chef

mario33

Post by mario33 »

Heeresbergführer wrote:I would have to say that the Heeresbergführer badge that Nicholas Morigi sells is the closest on the market.
I'll second that. Its a very good quality - with regards both to materials and fidelity of the copy. However, the pin for attaching the badge is somehow a 'weak point' - it accidentally opens sometimes and the bagde tends to fall off. Just make sure you dont loose it - secure the pin safely.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister »

mario33

Post by mario33 »

I've moved the GJ-event-in-the-USA and urlaub considerations ;) here: http://panzergrenadier.net/forum/viewto ... 43#p137143
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

charles wuester

Post by charles wuester »

i also have a question about badges for papa everyone talks about placement of cap badge but as i em you on other forom what is correct size of badge for cap,i bought repro from hiki1620 burgmuse is good copy but edelweiss is very small and all your pics give it a scale of approx. 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches is this right?????
just to be clear i mean the army model/not ss
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Hi to all!!!

-So they worn the metall Edelweiss for the Bergmütze, the sticken one for the Schirmmütze?

-Did they ever wear bandages on the Gebirgsjäger-Anorak???

Thanx! :D
Heeresbergführer

Murdoc wrote:Hi to all!!!

-So they worn the metall Edelweiss for the Bergmütze, the sticken one for the Schirmmütze?

-Did they ever wear bandages on the Gebirgsjäger-Anorak???

Thanx! :D

Bergmütze:

Schirmmütze:

Usually nothing is worn on the Windbluse (anorak), though sometimes you see the special ranks for camo clothing being worn.

Berg Heil,
Patrick
Kompanie Chef

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”