Styrian Gaiters

Moderator: les hearn

Yuri

Styrian Gaiters

Post by Yuri »

Ive bought few days ago pair of gaiters similar to those used by SS GJ. It costs me some 50$
If You can take a look and write Yours opinion it will be just great.

And one more question - how common was that part of SS GJ kit among Wehrmacht. It was restricted to Hochgebirgsjager, or allowed in common-GJ troops too??
War, war never changes...

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR
Heeresbergführer

Re: Styrian Gaiters

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Grüß Gott Yuri und Bergkameraden,

The gaiters that you purchased are civilian mountaineering type and not the military version.

Your consensus about the Styrian Gamaschen (gaiter) is correct. They were issued on a very limited basis. The Handschar Division is the the only unit that I know of that had wide-spread issue of these type of Gamaschen. I have not seen any photos of Prinz Eugen or Nord Division Gebirgsjägers wearing them.

On the Heer side of the Wehrmacht, I have only seen them being worn by Gebirgsjägers going through the Heeresbergführer course, or who are part of a Hochgebirgsjäger Batallion, or by Officers (they can wear anything!!! :) ) I believe that the Styrian Gamaschen were considered as a specialty item that was used for high Alpine mountaineering. So it would have limited issue.

Most people don't know about Hochgebirgstruppe. You have standard Gebirgstruppe who are skilled in mountain and winter warfare...they can climb, ski, etc. Then you have the Hochgebirgstruppe (High Alpine Mountain Troops) who are the most skilled mountaineers and can handle extreme mountaineering. These Hochgebirgsjäger Battalions (No. 1 - 4) were independent units and fought in areas like the Caucasus Mountains (Mount Elbrus - over 16,000 feet)in Russia; the Abruzzi, Apennine, and Dolomiti Mountains in Italy; and the French Alps (Mount Blanc - also over 16,000 ft.). And even within a Hochgebirgsjäger unit, you'll find everyone wearing something different. As with most mountaineers, they are very picky about what gear the they have and what kind of clothing they wear.

Here is an original Heer issue Styrian Gamaschen from my collection:

Here are a couple of Gebirgsjägers getting ready to go skiing. The NCO on the right is wearing the Styrian Gamaschen. Notice the Reindeer mittens being worn by the other Gebirgsjäger. Those would have been purchased in Norway or Finland:

Hope that answers your question. Please post if you have more questions.

Mit einem kameradschaftlichen Horrido!
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Good sirs Sorry it took me some time to get back on this SS Nord did have the said type Gaiters
but not in large numbers ,In the june on 1943 Himmler requested that 10 pairs of gaiters in diffrent styles be sent to SS Nord for field trials .The most common type in use with Nord was the standard Heer Puttees
ImageImageImageImageImage
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Here is another photo of gaiters in use this one of the the Skijeger Norge that was part of SS Nord
Have a look at this link for more on the Norge Skijeger http://www.frontkjemper.com/
edit Link added
ImageImageImageImageImage
Slobo

Post by Slobo »

I am looking for help on determining whether leather gaiters were ever used. I took notes on a photo I had seen sometime ago but unfortunately I have been unable to locate that photo. I had noted what I assumed to be appeared to be Gebirgsjaeger troops showing one with what appeared to be black leather gaiters with 3 leather side tabs on each as opposed to hooks and string for fastening. So they looked like Styrian Gaiters but of leather body and tabs instead of canvas.

If you are familiar with Swiss Army leather gaiters, they would appear to be very similar. I am not sure when the Swiss started issuing their leather gaiters but pretty sure it was post-war so would not think it could be the source for what was definitely a german wartime photo.

Has anyone seen anything like these in the flesh or in photos on Gebirgsjaegers or other German troops in wartime? Could these have been private purchase or commercial items?

My notes do not indicate whether the wearer in the photo was and Officer, NCO or enlisted (and probably wasn't readily identifiable anyway). My other notes indicate winter reversible parkas, grey side out, and what appeared to be fur hats (did gebirgsjaegers ever wear these?). Could not determine W-SS or Heer and no location given though possibly Norway.

For visual reference, here are the Swiss leather gaiters that would appear to be close in detail to what I am trying to pin down.
Attachments
Swiss leather gaiters like mine.JPG
Swiss leather gaiters like mine.JPG (17.45 KiB) Viewed 18362 times
Grabenkater

Post by Grabenkater »

I have never seen anything even remotely close the Swiss gaitors. The closest thing I have seen are post-war Italian gaitors made from heavy hemp. I am in the process now of converting a couple pairs.
mario33

Post by mario33 »

I presume the leather gaiters you posted Slobo are cavalry thing (instead or in the absence of riding boots) not mountain.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

Don't know if this helps any but as was mentioned, here are Handschar men, and gaiters of leather,(well it looks like it)
img004.jpg
img004.jpg (29.56 KiB) Viewed 18270 times
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Heeresbergführer

Those Handschar Gebirgsjägers are wearing the standard canvas Styrian gaiters like the ones I posted earlier.

Berg Heil und Horrido!
Patrick
Kompanie Chef

John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

[quote="Heeresbergführer"]Those Handschar Gebirgsjägers are wearing the standard canvas Styrian gaiters like the ones I posted earlier.

So a civilian bought pair on the left and two military ones on the right then right?
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
rednas

Post by rednas »

I was just watching the inauguration of a new company from the Landstorm Nederland, when I saw something that looks like these kind of gaiters. Are the two in the middle wearing these?

Heinz O. Kaufmann

Post by Heinz O. Kaufmann »

I bought these while ago from ebay in a pretty low price, so now I started to be suspicious.

The string is some sort of white cloth. The leather strap is quite long, so I guessed it will go like I placed it. There's no markings inside of the gaiters. So, are these just post-war is civilian models? Where the gaiters that Heeresbergführer the only issued model of them?
gebirgsjaeger100

Post by gebirgsjaeger100 »

I would say those are austrian pre-war gaiters. A beauty!
The leather ones are from the swiss army.
Hurra, die Gams!
Come and visit us at http://gjr100.blogspot.com/
Zoepf

Post by Zoepf »

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/images ... GAITER.jpg

Any input on these? They are listed as German Gaiters.
Heeresbergführer

Those look like post-war Austrian gaiters....definitely not German WWII or Bundeswehr.
Kompanie Chef

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”