Why did you choose the Gebirgsjager impression ?

Moderator: les hearn

Why did you choose the Gebirgsjager impression ?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:56 am

specific esprit de corps
17%
elite status
4%
achievements during war
4%
range of equipment used
13%
mountaneering experience
17%
GJ's were tough mountaineers, very much devoted to tradition
21%
I like the edelweiss patch on my cap and shoulder
4%
I like to be different than everybody else around
4%
other reasons (pls explain)
17%

Total votes: 24

42gunner

Re: Why did you choose the Gebirgsjager impression ?

Post by 42gunner »

Heeresbergführer wrote:Grüß Di' Bergkamerad Paul (Greetings Mountain Comrade)

Good to have you on the mountain! Love to see more British mountain kit. I have a few pieces in my collection, along with US 10th Mountain, Italian Alpini, and odds-n-ends from some other countries with mountain troops.

'Je suis prest'

Patrick
Is that a WW2-era Army 10th Mtn uniform?
aside from the badges and ribbons, it looks 100% like US Marine alphas.
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

42gunner wrote:
Heeresbergführer wrote:Image
Is that a WW2-era Army 10th Mtn uniform?
aside from the badges and ribbons, it looks 100% like US Marine alphas.

Yes, it is a standard WWII Army Officer Tunic from the 10th Mtn.
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

42gunner

Post by 42gunner »

Let see who can guess who these mountain troops are,
hint, they were the most decorated units of the Austro Hungarian Army

Stahlnacke

Post by Stahlnacke »

Hello!

I´m quite new here and perhaps it´s time I introduced myself.

I´m Daniel, 35 yrs old from Gothenburg, at the West coast of Sweden.

I´ve been reenacting for about 3 yrs (and prior to that several yrs of LARP and impro theatre).

I started out as a Soviet Infantry Soldier and member of FHF (the Front History Society www.reenactor.se ) where I´m acting Jefreitor K D Danilov.

But I´m also a member of the late 18th century society Westgiöta Gustavianer ( www.gustavianer.com ) where I act as soldat Allonge.

On the side of all this I collect militaria and uniforms, for ex; USAAF, British MP, WW2 Swedish Tank Troop Officer.

My interest for Gebirgsjägers started some years back and I think it was the equipment and the feeling of expedition and exploring that caught my attention.

As a child I was fascinated by the old heroes of exploration that climbed mountains and explored the poles.

I find the old age equipment intriguing; eispickels, rough boots and eissteigen, mountain caps and snow goggles, metres of ropes, snow shoes, skies and not the least the symbol of the edelweiss it self.

I´m born in the North of Sweden and used to cold and snowy winters (which unfortunately are scarce in the West of Sweden) and during my childhood I used skies every winter, both down hill and cross country.
Andyhen

Post by Andyhen »

Answering the original question.

Just because it's different. Not many people do it here in Australia (we have no mountains :) )

Andy
funker50

Post by funker50 »

and CLEAR! zzzzzzzzzap.....

only started getting interested in GJ stuff since the begining of the year since moving to the hills of the north pennines when we got stranded at home for weeks at a time due the white stuff falling ALOT! and having to use paulks to get supplies in. will invest in snow shoes, skis and maybe something with tracks ;-)
GJ clothing and equipment appeals to me as it is practical even by todays standards with regards to protection from the elements, durability and comfort.

onwards n upwards.
Vorwärts und aufwärts!
gliderrider

Post by gliderrider »

Hi Guys
I'm looking at getting back into WW2 Re-enactment, and my love of mountains, sort of made my mind up for me- I'm starting to accumulate a Lovat Scouts and GJ impression.
funker50

Post by funker50 »

how do, where in the world are ya then?
Vorwärts und aufwärts!
Halle

Post by Halle »

Gliderrider , welcome to the forum , nice to have another member interested in the mountains !
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
SOT(D)

Post by SOT(D) »

My reasons...well, I have been in reenacting since 1979, at Ft Bragg, NC, when I found the LAH. Had wanted to do it since reading a little story in Wargamer's Digest in 1975. Had a canteen, FJ helmet, fake MP-40 and no idea! Within years I found Rev War, and loved that...something about fifes and drums, and being awoken by them as they parade the camp playing mess call...and i found I was a good tailor and proper Rev War impressions require a lot of hand swing. Civil War came and went...eh...
Anyhow, when I was a recruiter in 1991, I found doing the 508th was more "politically correct" than SS, especially when representing the Army in the community (remember, this was under Clinton, and they saw "militia nut" in every uniform). And, the 508th trained in Florida. Doing SS came back in 2008....got tired of 506th of the one oh worst. It was a generic thing, and there were SS units down here, LAH, TK, and HJ. Personal and ethical problems have driven the TK and HJ away, but the LAH just was ...eh...
My sons wanted to get involved in the hobby (the oldest actually had been going to events since 2000), and I wanted something different. HMMMMMM what do we not have in Florida? Well, besides unions, mountains!! Why not? I had been to Mountain Warfare Schools in CO., and VT, and taught climbing at times in SF. I also realized that I already had 6th SS insignia in my collection, then found books on them that I had forgotten about, and also a nice set of photographs taken by SS war photographers assigned to the 6th SS !! Reread the books and became more fascinated with their story, and there it went. I had climbing gear...pitons and a Stubai hammer. Fiber ropes... Fate. Then I find that Landser Outfitters had three pairs of Swiss Mtn Boots...had...I grabbed 'em all, then went back later for two odd men outs, both left foot, and have spare cleats and nails! I also made a few pairs of leg wraps, and police up anoraks, wind jackets as needed. The impressions have improved tremendously and now I am steadily gaining more intel on making ID tags that would be proper to the 11/6thSS Nord, as well as soldbuchs.
It has been an interesting journey, and we have 6 fellows now...and two nurses (if the girls want to play, by all means!). I have found GJ reenactors to be less pretentious, and always willing to offer a kind word and good advice. And, everyone else lies to stick to the trails...makes for easier ambushes...
A good day to all,
Michael
11th RGT/6thSS Nord- 1/508th PIR
1/5thSFG-3/20thSFG-3/11thSFG
-always looking for details on Nord IDs and soldbuchs

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”