D Day - 70th Anniversary (6th June 1944 - 2014)

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
Stefan1944

D Day - 70th Anniversary (6th June 1944 - 2014)

Post by Stefan1944 »

Last edited by Stefan1944 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
grenadier Biermann

Re: D Day - 70th Anniversary (6th June 1944 - 2014)

Post by grenadier Biermann »

Hi of course we all know this but most of us are sad and out of tune for not taking part in it :( :wink:
Burger Schlesien Bad-Darkau
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

I did my bit last year and jumped at Sannerville on the DZ my uncle landed on. Its far too crazy over there this year and I don't care what any one says the French don't like it!
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

well said , you are correct about this matter we owe them all a debt of gratitude for freeing Europe from Nazism
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

grenadier Biermann wrote:Hi of course we all know this but most of us are sad and out of tune for not taking part in it :( :wink:
+1 in state of depression right now as I sit at work.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
saddler

Post by saddler »

I've only been going since 1990

First year I went, we were the only ones in uniform (US 82md Abn)

Missed a few years, then attended for the 50th. ...though later in the month as 6 June saw me sitting one of my War Studies exams!
Noticed LOTS more public in attendance PLUS a bigger official military presence

Went about 5 years back = it now resembles an oversize tacky circus....neck tattoos, facial piercings & a pony tail, shoe horned into hodge podge of uniform seems to be the order of the day for the average Frenchman

Very sad to see the way it has degenerated

PLUS

Too little too late in terms of plaudits for the veterans - they should have officially recognised them 50 years ago, as too few are still around now. Typical governments attitudes though - on both sides of the channel
Halle

Post by Halle »

I'm intending to go next year , when things have quietened down a bit - I've never been , and I think it's about time I did ...
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
grenadier Biermann

Oberleutnant Ulrich wrote:
grenadier Biermann wrote:Hi of course we all know this but most of us are sad and out of tune for not taking part in it :( :wink:
+1 in state of depression right now as I sit at work.

Thanks for comment I know nothing is easy especially for working class chained at work and out of pocket :!: :cry:
grenadier Biermann

saddler wrote:I've only been going since 1990

First year I went, we were the only ones in uniform (US 82md Abn)

Missed a few years, then attended for the 50th. ...though later in the month as 6 June saw me sitting one of my War Studies exams!
Noticed LOTS more public in attendance PLUS a bigger official military presence

Went about 5 years back = it now resembles an oversize tacky circus....neck tattoos, facial piercings & a pony tail, shoe horned into hodge podge of uniform seems to be the order of the day for the average Frenchman

Very sad to see the way it has degenerated

PLUS

Too little too late in terms of plaudits for the veterans - they should have officially recognised them 50 years ago, as too few are still around now. Typical governments attitudes though - on both sides of the channel
Yes mate that how it all works sadly all this 70th anniversary is only playground for posh ,nobles etc. and by standing dumb buggers munching Beef burgers and that what is all about :!: Veterans ?? Who cares ???
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Halle wrote:I'm intending to go next year , when things have quietened down a bit - I've never been , and I think it's about time I did ...
I'll most likely be there as well. I can get permission for a group to go in uniform with full insignia if interested.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
Stefan1944

Post by Stefan1944 »

The Great Escape - what a great D Day Anniversary story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... iends.html

Perhaps they will turn it into a film...................... :lol:
kiler

Post by kiler »

Has anyone seen the official celebrations this year? This strange theatrical event? Did you like it?

I don`t know if you agree but when I watched it I had the sad feeling that the current politics were more important than history this year.

However, the funniest thing was how the French emphasized their part in D-day - the 100 men from the Kieffer Commando were mentioned at least dozen of times. :)
grenadier Biermann

kiler wrote:Has anyone seen the official celebrations this year? This strange theatrical event? Did you like it?

I don`t know if you agree but when I watched it I had the sad feeling that the current politics were more important than history this year.

However, the funniest thing was how the French emphasized their part in D-day - the 100 men from the Kieffer Commando were mentioned at least dozen of times. :)
You wrong mate it wasn't D-Day anniversary this was a Royal Wedding :!: Do you know know :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

I was in la cambe the day before yesterday , noticed that someone had placed a RBL cross of remembrance at the grave of Adolf Diekmann , I would never think of removing it but I myself would never think of placing one on his grave.
(Given that not far away are Prinz, Beck and Gunther, all Knights Cross holders, all killed in Normandy.
panzerspaher

Post by panzerspaher »

hi all,
i was in normandy this year.have to say there was an awful lot of people there.st.mere eglise was packed nearly all the time.
so when d-day came we decided to head down the country a bit and ended up in st.nazaire at the u-boat pens.overall a good trip but
definetly over crowded.we did also see 3 german graveyards this time mont de husines,orglandes and la cambe.mont de husines was unusual as all the graves were over the ground.

Return to “Anything WWII!”