German POW's held in Wisbech during WW2

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
Cookie

German POW's held in Wisbech during WW2

Post by Cookie »

Hi all,

A good female friend of mine (who knows very little about WW2 and even less about re-enacting) has discovered that her Granddad, who sadly passed away last year, was a German soldier who was captured on the Western front and held in a camp in Wisbech during the latter stages of the war. He then chose to stay in the UK after release and worked on the railways until he retired.

Does anyone know about the POW camps in Wisbech, or any people/books/resources on the subject? I went to college there for a few years but never came across any museums or displays.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Mark A
Mark A - AFRA
funker50

Re: German POW's held in Wisbech during WW2

Post by funker50 »

list of camps in the UK,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wo ... ed_Kingdom
it says there was one nr Ely and one nr (Trumpington)Cambridge, so maybe taken out to Fenny areas early in the morning and brought back in the evening most likely? My great grandparents had eytalians and Germans working on their farm nr cambridge.
just found this though 1st link when googling Wisbech pow camp
http://www.airfieldinformationexchange. ... mp-Wisbech
Vorwärts und aufwärts!
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Thanks for the info,

We did do some internet searches for general information but my friend wants to know if there are any records kept anywhere that would shed some light on the POW's, their movements etc. I thought about approaching the Imperial War Museum?
Mark A - AFRA
funker50

Post by funker50 »

what about Cambridge county council archives? them lot must have records of them somewhere....or failing that a trip to the national archives may be the next step?
Vorwärts und aufwärts!
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Yeah, we were thinking about the Imperial War Museum. The National Archives and Cambridgeshire County Council would be good places to start. Thanks for the tip!
Mark A - AFRA

Return to “Anything WWII!”