alternative source for (german) ww2 tents

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

koobleguy

alternative source for (german) ww2 tents

Post by koobleguy »

Hi,

as I guess most of you know, the well known supplier for ww2 tents has gone out of business

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=12345&start=60

as I wasn't lucky enough to get my german officer's tent set, I was wondering whether any of you
perhaps has an alternative source for good quality ww2 tents he might like to share?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
Heeresbergführer

Re: alternative source for (german) ww2 tents

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Tentsmiths in the USA makes great tents. They make both the large and small Staff Tent (Stabszelt), the Truppenzelt, as well as a Gebirgsgruppenzelt (though it is not shown on their website).

http://www.tentsmiths.com/
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Peiper

Post by Peiper »

koobleguy wrote:Hi,

as I guess most of you know, the well known supplier for ww2 tents has gone out of business

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=12345&start=60

as I wasn't lucky enough to get my german officer's tent set, I was wondering whether any of you
perhaps has an alternative source for good quality ww2 tents he might like to share?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Hi koobleguy
Iam in the same boat, Repro German tent suppliers are thin on the ground??

The only type ive seen are the ex Army Ridge tents or "Land-Rover tents" which apparantly are
based on the "German Officer type tent" design so are very similar, try looking at ex Army surplus
or "Mil-Web" :?:

Good hunting, Peiper
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

@ Heeresbergführer: thanks,

do you own one of theirs? Or do you have some pics?
the website doesn't offer too many

any european source available aswell?

@ Peiper: I'll check & see, but I actually I want to buy once, but the "real thing" then,
but I'll have a look
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

koobleguy wrote:
@ Peiper: I'll check & see, but I actually I want to buy once, but the "real thing" then,
but I'll have a look
Your choice at the end of the day, just trying to help as no advice was forth-coming for a while :lol: .

Here's some pics to compare ????????
Pathfinder German Officer tent.jpg
Pathfinder German Officer tent.jpg (12.84 KiB) Viewed 15729 times
Pathfinder's "German Officer Tent"
Landrover-tent.jpg
Landrover-tent.jpg (22.96 KiB) Viewed 15729 times
Ex Army "Landrover Tent"

Good-Luck!!! :wink:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Landrover 9x9 is wrong size. Has a tubular metal frame. Usually only comes in OG. Has wrong door and no camo loops.
US tent firm is a good but expensive tent. Save up and buy the Tentmasters.
And these bloody tan tents are vile.........
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Hoffman Grink wrote:Landrover 9x9 is wrong size. Has a tubular metal frame. Usually only comes in OG. Has wrong door and no camo loops.
US tent firm is a good but expensive tent. Save up and buy the Tentmasters.
And these bloody tan tents are vile.........
Danke for the heads up Hoff :D
You got a link for "tent-masters" kamerad???

Cheers Pipes :wink:
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

Peiper wrote: You got a link for "tent-masters" kamerad???
my next thought :mrgreen:
regards, koobleguy

Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

www.tentsmiths.com

The tan tents are vile, but unfortunately correct. I own 8 original Stabzelt (in varying degrees of decay!) and they are all tan, including two made in 1944. The Tentsmiths ones I have are a very close match - if I can get the originals out of storage, I'll try and get some comparison shots. The hues do vary slightly on the originals though.

The Germans did have frame tents (again, I have an original but I need to get the pole set completed as it's missing 4 or 5) - it's a 4m x 4m tent with an apex (not a ridge as on the 9' x 9' British Army tents) and it's intended use was as a field workshop - it's marked up as tropical, so the fabric is slightly more brown.
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Feldjager wrote:http://www.tentsmiths.com

The tan tents are vile, but unfortunately correct. I own 8 original Stabzelt (in varying degrees of decay!) and they are all tan, including two made in 1944. The Tentsmiths ones I have are a very close match - if I can get the originals out of storage, I'll try and get some comparison shots. The hues do vary slightly on the originals though.

The Germans did have frame tents (again, I have an original but I need to get the pole set completed as it's missing 4 or 5) - it's a 4m x 4m tent with an apex (not a ridge as on the 9' x 9' British Army tents) and it's intended use was as a field workshop - it's marked up as tropical, so the fabric is slightly more brown.
Thanks for that Feldjager

So im thinking O/G or O/D ex Army ridge tents are not to be used then :?:

Cheers Peiper
Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

We have 3 Tentsmith tents in my unit. I know that they are pricey, but I can tell you from experience that they will keep you high and dry even through nearby tornado storms. We were at an event at an airshow when a tornado storm came through...you could hear all the other reenactors screaming because their tents were being blown down and were falling apart...but my group was snug as a bug in our Truppenzelt.

Große Stabszelt:

Truppenzelt:

Gebirgsgruppenzelt:
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Stick to zelts...pff...wimps. :roll:

:lol:
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Heeresbergführer wrote:We have 3 Tentsmith tents in my unit. I know that they are pricey, but I can tell you from experience that they will keep you high and dry even through nearby tornado storms. We were at an event at an airshow when a tornado storm came through...you could hear all the other reenactors screaming because their tents were being blown down and were falling apart...but my group was snug as a bug in our Truppenzelt.
Servus Herresbergfuhrer :)
Just a quick question, would the Ex Army Mk1 ridge tent be suitable/passable as
one of the above Gebirgsgruppenzelt's, this is for my own benefit, see pic below :?:
army-mk1-ridge-tent.jpg
army-mk1-ridge-tent.jpg (16.72 KiB) Viewed 15704 times
Regards Peiper
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

@ Heeresbergführer:

thanks for posting the pics - very nice!!!

do I see a swiss infantry cart / Pferdewagen B ?!? :wink:

which size does the große Stabszelt have when packed?
because Idon't have a Blitz around all the time :lol:

does tentsmiths have some sort of sale from time to time?
as one way or the other it'll be too late to get one of those
for this years events in case I have to import them from the US,
I wouldn't be in a hurry

@ Feldjager: comparison shots would be great, of course!

are there any confirmed original german ww2 tents out there showing other
colours than tan?
regards, koobleguy

Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Question: why are we trying to move re-enactment back 8 years? People have literally busted their balls to produce quality reproduction tents, and then when they fail (due to supply issues) we go straight back to British army 10lb tents within 2 seconds flat? Its a total mickey take. If your going to use Brit army stuff, why dont you just wear swiss camo whilst your at it? Well, its close enough...... :roll:

My zeltbahn gib was abit tongue in cheek, but seriously now, just think - you can make a 10 man tent out of zeltbahns, it looks period, costs as much and looks the dogs danglies. Orrrr, you can use a heavy, pain in the ass, "look alike" British tent, which now everyone knows what the original German ones look like, know it looks nothing like them.

I can see the prices of these British tents shooting up again now - in preparation for the onslaught of re-enactors...
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

Return to “General”