Ww2 german coin cleaning

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

soldat44

Ww2 german coin cleaning

Post by soldat44 »

Hi Guys,
After a very successfull Floh Markt search in Berlin,amongst my haul I now have a load of Zinc Reich Mark coins, however as usual they have gone that dark colour. Has anyone cleaned these coins up and how is the best way to do it. I was going to put them in a display frame once I have sorted out the best ones.
Thanks
Steve
Johnny_BoomBoom2000

Re: Ww2 german coin cleaning

Post by Johnny_BoomBoom2000 »

Never tried it myself ,but this came up on google:-

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/clea ... _tin.shtml

Good luck!
Bitchenfuhrer

Post by Bitchenfuhrer »

I use a furniture polish reviver recipe I got out of an old book to clean pretty much anything.Equal parts linseed oil,methylated spirits,gum turpentine and malt vinegar in a bottle.Shake the mix well till it goes creamy, pour a bit on some very fine (0000) steel wool and scrub,gently at first,increase pressure if you need to.0000 steel wool is very gentle stuff and doesn't scratch things up.I've used this method on everything from antique furniture to rusty old chisels.Just remember to take it easy at first and only scrub as hard as you need to get the grime off.
Panzer Wittman

Post by Panzer Wittman »

If they're zinc mate then there'll be nothing really left to polish up . Once the surface coating has gone it's gone.
I'd just give them a gentle clean, make sure they're uber dry, then apply a really thin coat of vaseline to any points where white zinc pest was visible.
This is what u do with zinc german medals.
soldat44

Post by soldat44 »

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll give them a clean as mentioned.
Thanks again
Stephan

Return to “General”