blank firing safety distance

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

pepperpot

blank firing safety distance

Post by pepperpot »

anyone know where I can get this info on front venting weapons,
had a show stopped recently because people were too close.
graham
ssparatrooper

Re: blank firing safety distance

Post by ssparatrooper »

50 meters for non bullited blank
Halle

Post by Halle »

I think the point should be made that you shouldn't fire a weapon "at" anyone at all , it should always be into space .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

I agree but where do I find this info based on fact not guessing a distance. I was told many years ago 50 feet again without any written info
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

without a BFA (blank firing adaptor) the safety distance is 50 meters this was the case in the military (when i was in) so i have always briefed that at the safety briefs i have done, brass un burnt powder and bits of paint will come out of the end of the weapon when fired the larger the calibre the more derbies comes out so the distance must be longer

Always aim off or if the distance is too small don't fire at all, this is for front venting weapons as top venting weapons are usually of a smaller calibre so unless you are in a enclosed are or a confined space you have no dramas

i have been "brassed up" a few times when playing dead in re-enactments also if the muzzle of any weapon is in line with your head you will be deaf in no time but hey when has good drills ever stopped a re-enactment lol

surely your group train you in these matters? or the safety brief must have covered it
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

just to be even more pedantic did you or your group do a risk assessment for the activities you undertake? as when doing displays etc where the public are there must be one done either by the event where you will need to be briefed via a safety brief or if you are running the battle then you must do one to identify all of the significant risks involved? these findings are best to be recorded

and safety brief attendance needs to be recorded also

i would have thought :lol:
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

in answer to your question, I don't run either of the groups I belong too and in both cases I assume what you have said was done by the IC1 . In the first occasion being told the safety distance is 10' (3 metres) is a joke particularly firing towards the public and before you ask no I didn't fire at them as a target. On the second event the allied unit moved forward too fast and closed the gap to about 20'! I've seen this done on many occasions including war and peace along with mill odd. so while it may be a guide it doesn't take much to get it wrong at any event. I know its wrong but how do WE prevent it from happening. I agree with you 50m seems to make sense but its difficult to police that distance even with a large re enactment battle field. Im not having a go just trying to look 'inside the box' bearing in mind all the new regulations now in force for battle re enactment and the registering of Section 5, FAC1, blank firers and deacs for any future shows.
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

it comes back to the risk assessment and the safety brief like i said in my post, the event or who is running the battle have a duty to complete a RA for significant risk to anyone that might be exposed to a hazard (in this particular case blank firing weapons) and control measures need to be implemented to stop the "hazard" being realised.

A safety brief will control and record that these findings are briefed to the people taking part and also a disclaimer for those taking part, you say that you don't run the group(s) or events etc but you should at least be briefed on their RA findings to cover your own arses.

if you don't attend the safety brief you (i don't mean you its just a figure of speech) should not be allowed to take part in the re-enactment thats how i have always run things on private battles etc i have run
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

thanks for the advise, at least i now know what the correct procedure is and will be more aware in the future
graham
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

if someone did not follow this procedure and for instance injured someone in a "battle" they would be guilty of contributory negligence and could be prosecuted

crazy but a very real issue if it happens to you!
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

risk assessment.. what if any qualifications are needed, same goes for safety briefing, is this now done by the section 5 and if no section 5 who is responsible? how do you check if any of the above are responsible people to carry this out assessments?
I want to cover my back, so I don't end up arguing with health safety, local plod etc
graham
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

well i have a NEBOSH general certificate and an IOSH certificate (from my job) so i am qualified to complete all the paperwork etc and i do for the group i am in but if you have the knowledge and your group can transfer that onto paper via a risk assessment and that is checked by a competent person (ie the H&S manager for the event) and you follow the findings in the risk assessment you will be covered

does the group you are in run training events? where the correct drills etc are taught to the membership? if not maybe you should as you are not doing yourself any favours i teach the blokes in the group drills to make them competent to use weapons etc and their attendance is recorded so we can prove they have attended and done the training

every event will have a health and safety manager and he will control this he should ask groups for their risk assessments for the activities they wish to conduct or they must brief to the groups what they want done via a safety brief like i said but i would advise your group to put some paperwork together to cover their arse

unfortunately in this hobby anyone can buy a uniform from the internet attend an event with no training from the group they are with and you end up with loads of "happy spastics" running around with guns its a wonder more people don't get hurt!
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

stage safe is hold an event next month in London
http://www.stagesafe.co.uk/
17th November
Southbank
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Marker flags may help as a guide ?

Pipes
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

what about red flashing noses?

Return to “General”