best way to get new repro jackboots field ready

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

fieldgrey

best way to get new repro jackboots field ready

Post by fieldgrey »

Not sure i want to splash black polish all over my boots without first checking...alot of original jackboots seem a lot more dark brown....has anyone got the perfect process for darkening fresh undyed dice beakers to the most effective wartime standard?
Thanks in advance!
Halle

Re: best way to get new repro jackboots field ready

Post by Halle »

They were blackened by WW2 - Later in the war the half boots were often unblackened and leather protection was left to the soldier in the field . I have just this morning recieved a blackened pair of boots from Lederarsenal, and he appears to have dyed them . There are threads on this forum detailing how to blacken raw leather with metal scourers dissolved in vinegar .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
fieldgrey

Post by fieldgrey »

Halle wrote:They were blackened by WW2 - Later in the war the half boots were often unblackened and leather protection was left to the soldier in the field . I have just this morning recieved a blackened pair of boots from Lederarsenal, and he appears to have dyed them . There are threads on this forum detailing how to blacken raw leather with metal scourers dissolved in vinegar .
Thank you. I shall check threads. Any chance you could show a pic or two of your new boots...how do they fit? Are you satisfied?
Halle

Post by Halle »

Ok , I'll try and post a few here , but they're the same as shown by Franz Dreher on here just the other day , the experimental type produced 1933-'36 , then discontinued . Am I satisfied ? Yes , very , they're a lovely pair of boots , beautifully made . They fit , yes , Jan takes your foot measurements and builds the boots accordingly .

It's been said often on here - you get what you pay for , and that's especially true of boots and leather equipment in general - including P&P , these boots cost me €414 , a handsome sum , but they will never fall apart , lose nails , rip , tear etc , like the £60 - 100 bracket pairs will .
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Just to cause a pain in Halle's @ss, I have to disagree with one thing...everyone says the £60 pair of Sturm boots are crap but I've gone through only 2 pairs and they lasted each around 4 years and mostly I used them as outdoor work boots. If you replace the nails with steel ones and no great well....they do the job....but yes....andndnuthung under £300 for footwear is generally trash.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
Halle

Post by Halle »

Oberleutnant Ulrich wrote:Just to cause a pain in Halle's @ss, I have to disagree with one thing...everyone says the £60 pair of Sturm boots are crap but I've gone through only 2 pairs and they lasted each around 4 years and mostly I used them as outdoor work boots. If you replace the nails with steel ones and no great well....they do the job....but yes....andndnuthung under £300 for footwear is generally trash.

Only four years each ? I've had one pair of ankle boots from Joky for around 10 years , they're missing three studs between em and are a beautiful supple pair of slippers now .. :wink:
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Haha...I say 4 years for a pair of 60 buck shoes are pretty good especially when I get at them...remember I didn't use them for just reenacting but pretty much every weekend in the fall and spring. Anyway, no use arguing over cheap boots....it ain't worth it ;)
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54

Return to “General”