So...why is this forum dying on it's ass?

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

ssparatrooper

Re: So...why is this forum dying on it's ass?

Post by ssparatrooper »

we are lucky in the SBG as we have a balance that fits the group but i would love more private battles the ones we done at longmoor and meriworth are just distant memories now

i like a beer with my mates but not at 1300 when there are things to do, having a beer talking about a great day and the small part you may have played in something that was pretty good is fine but walking around half dressed minging in the afternoon is just pants and takes away a slot for someone that could put some effort in

the beer tent thing seems to have taken over a lot of peoples events its a good crack but you must play the game in the day

its a shame this forum has declined but i think as stated the facebook thing has taken over and there are groups for groups for groups on there i will still visit this as long as it is here
Halle

Post by Halle »

ssparatrooper wrote:we are lucky in the SBG as we have a balance that fits the group but i would love more private battles the ones we done at longmoor and meriworth are just distant memories now

i like a beer with my mates but not at 1300 when there are things to do, having a beer talking about a great day and the small part you may have played in something that was pretty good is fine but walking around half dressed minging in the afternoon is just pants and takes away a slot for someone that could put some effort in

the beer tent thing seems to have taken over a lot of peoples events its a good crack but you must play the game in the day

its a shame this forum has declined but i think as stated the facebook thing has taken over and there are groups for groups for groups on there i will still visit this as long as it is here

It was ever thus ! WW2 reenacting , as far as the Axis is concerned anyway , has always had the groups who basically pack up at around one in the afternoon and disappear off to the beer tent, or worse still , sit around their stand with cans of Stella all afternoon ( or bottles of German looking beer for those making an effort :lol: ) , and those that stay on their stand , sober, till the show ends.

As far as realism is concerned , everyone knows who the best groups are , and which ones allow "a bit of interpretation" , and people sign up accordingly - I've seen some right sights in my time .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

I must be doing something right (thanks Gerry Kaeppner FJR6 Vet) cos my in box is full of the smaller shows where we do not tolerate the larger louts. This is one of the reasons why we get invited back time after time. IMO booze should only be consumed after the public has gone home and if anyone isn't sober the following morning then they should be kept away from any type of firearm............................ as I said we all have a pint or 2 but not drinking the barrel dry on the first day
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

Got the same feeling here.

I might be wrong here, but it seems the reenactment scene never reinvented itself. Most units keep on doing the same things over and over again. After a few years. It becomes boring and revert to do the next fun thing: drinking beer

I can see this even in Malta. If one is not careful, the naggers take down the level of the group with them.

Is anyone trying to reinvent their group and finds ways of keeping up the morale and the level of interest? I am currently at that level in my group. This could make for a good discussion, possibly in another post.
The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies
askhati

Post by askhati »

For our group, I keep the guys busy - physically busy - so that they collapse at the end of the day, sleep like rocks through the night (it helps to be tired when sleeping in a comfortless foxhole), and then spend the next morning raving about how much fun they had :P

Extremes aside though, keeping the members physically busy is one sure way to keep them interested. Take a Pre-D-Day theme, and have them modify camo nets with strips of burlap, or show them how to plant Rommel's Asparagus (poles with AT mines on top). Do rifle drills, do Gun Team vs Assault Team drills, have them run PT obstacle courses in full kit. I taught my guys to leopard crawl - the flat, face-in-the-dirt kind - by put an airsoft gun on a tripod at the one end of the course, and hosing BB rounds over their heads while they crawled. It didn't *sound* like a real MG42 - but the threat of a high-speed BB behind the ear kept their heads down plenty well!

What many modern civilians also lack these days, is basic fieldcraft - how to survive in the wilds - and your reenactment group is bound to benefit from lessons on this topic as well. How to properly clean their mess kits in the field, how to cook their own rations, how to check if water is clean/potable, how to handle sun-stroke and frost-bite (the former is a big concern in Africa), and so forth. Work it into a plausible training scenario - unit X is on training maneuvers in Normandie, and needs to hike from A to B in two days - and then put the guys through the steps. You might lose one or two of the beer-fueled types, but the bond of brotherhood will start to show strongly with the rest - and they will become the perfect advertising you need to attract more likeminded folks.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

I wouldn't be too surprised if forums become a little more popular again. New FB regulations have come down hard on any hobbies where guns or RIFs are involved. Sales of second hand items play a big part in any hobby and people have started to move back to forums as it's the only place to advertise their gear. This is certainly the case with airsoft. Not sure if the affect will be as noticeable with reenactment but FB is becoming a pain in the arse.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

saddler

Post by saddler »

FB is a site I've never had an inclination to be any part of, mainly due to the nature of the people that were telling me to join it a few years ago - a load of attention seeking diva's at work = if THEY were the demographic it was a site best avoided.

Not been proven wrong as yet - though swmbo is on it for the guinea pig groups & the dachshund groups - yet even on those sites a good %age of the posts are moaning/name calling.
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

I would say it's also partly due to laziness these days. People don't want to read or write anymore they just want to know right away. How they aquire the information this way...I dunno.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
funker50

Post by funker50 »

you go on forums and ask for info or help and the usual reply is that well used whore 'google is your friend' malarkey, wtf is the point of having a forum if that's all the reply people usually give, then people get fed up of even asking for help and don't bother with them anymore init.....

that and the bitchy,snideyness, one upman ship that goes on puts me off alot.

berg heil!
Vorwärts und aufwärts!
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

I thought the point was that when your own research let you down you asked the forum rather than it being you first port of call?
I prefer to find things out for myself so it might just be me?
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

I don't mind answering questions that could be found on google, the exception lies with questions like "when did WWII end"? For those questions it would have been faster just to google it than start a new thread.

Some forums though are full of a-holes though. For example on the Wehrmacht Awards forum there are a lot of good chaps but at the same time so many who are just plain mean. A lot of people just want to post "fake"! to everything they see either because they want to follow the group or are jealous of other's finds. That forum is great but I do not post nearly as much because you get so many others just trying to get a rise out of you and all the others will take the side of the "vets" of the forums.

So it could also be the general attitude of the forum as well.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Left re-enacting many years back but decided to pop in here as I always enjoyed this forum. Sad to see it’s hardly used anymore. Was always a great source for information and banter.
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

I still pop on and have a perusal, yes I'm still alive
much to certain people's annoyance lol
I stopped posting because I was wasting my time, a few who were on here were too eager to poke holes and argue the toss, there were a few with large egos and larger heads who tried to put people down sadly which got to be annoying with nasty jealous comments or spiteful remarks, life is too short and I couldn't be doing with it frankly.

I still Reenact even after all this time and was classed as someone that wouldn't last in the hobby, no still out there, although i do Allied portrayal now as something different and smaller local events due to work etc which allows me still do do the hobby but not spend 6-7 hrs in a traffic jam, i still do the Victory show but doing Allied helps with doing local events as sometimes the SS portrayal is not allowed or frowned on which is stupid, I would still like to do the SS portrayal but can't do the travelling anymore unfortunately.

To those who liked me I say all the best, you can imagine what I would say to those that don't....lmao :-) the ones that don't obviously have held a grudge because I have had to pull them up once or twice about their clever dick answers or snide comments.

PS: Feel free to PM me in private if anyone wishes to comment without any moderators interference
Pipes
Last edited by peiper1944 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Halle

Post by Halle »

peiper1944 wrote:I still pop on and have a perusal, yes I'm still alive
much to certain people's annoyance lol
I stopped posting because I was wasting my time,
a few who were on were too eager to poke holes
and argue the toss, there were a few with large
egos and larger heads who tried to put people down
sadly which got to be annoying, life is too short and
I couldn't be doing with it frankly.

I still Reenact even after all this time and was classed
as someone that wouldn't last in the hobby, no still
out there, although i do Allied portrayal now as something
different and smaller local events due to work etc which
allows me still do do the hobby but not spend 6-7 hrs in a
traffic jam, i still do the Victory show but doing Allied helps
with doing local events as sometimes the SS portrayal is not
allowed or frowned on which is stupid, I would still like to do
the SS portrayal but can't do the travelling anymore unfortunately.

To those who liked me I say all the best, you can imagine what I
would say to those that don't....lmao :-)

PS: Feel free to PM me in private if anyone wishes to comment
without any moderators interference
Pipes

pm'd you mate , the forum is poorer without ya ..
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Halle wrote:

pm'd you mate , the forum is poorer without ya ..
Cheers buddy
Have pm'd you back, it was good to meet that time at Wales
and was nice to meet your group, maybe we will run into one
another again at future events
Regards Pipes
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com

Return to “General”