Speaking German

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Rudi Kurz

Speaking German

Post by Rudi Kurz »

Guten Abend,
Not sure if anyone has asked this before, apologies if they have. I am trying to use as much German as I can . ( which is not a huge amount, but it's building slowly, ) :oops:

Would a German officer say " Herr Feldwebel " or just "Feldwebel " when addressing him as that would be going down the chain of command ?. Also , to say "Salute" in German, is it Gruss ? ( allowing for English keyboard ) or Salutieren,? online translators really don't help much on this one. I would be grateful for any help.

How many of you out there try to use German commands ? , we do, at Appel, we all have German names, and try to use German commands wherever we can. It is more effort, but it just feels so much better, and the public like it as well. I would like to hear what you guys think on the subject. :)

danke kameraden. Rudi
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Re: Speaking German

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Soldat!

The officer would address the Feldwebel as Feldwebel Müller. Herr is for superiors or addressing an adult male in the public like Herr Müller.

As for salute, you mean by a formal greeting such as "Guten Abend Herr Oberleutnant" or a general greeting to your fellow Kameraden like the popular Austrian "servus"?
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
Halle

Post by Halle »

The military German for "salute" is Grüßen.....an officer would address a lower rank simply by that rank eg. Feldwebel, Gefreiter etc.

Well done to you and your group for trying to use German on displays - you're right, the public love it , we used to march our group around the field to German commands , and do Appell in German ( with some odd results :lol: ) ..punters really appreciated it and you always drew a big crowd , especially firing the mortar with German commands.
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Rudi Kurz

Post by Rudi Kurz »

Thanks Gents, that's a great help. Sorry Arthur I should have said it was " salute " as in a military salute . I just wish I was better in German as using translators online can help you find words, but I'm sure many times a natural born German would say the complete sentence is not right !! lol . Anyway I enjoy the challenge, and is always worth the effort.

vielen danke kameraden, bis spater, Rudi

Return to “General”