The 36th SS

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
les hearn

Re: The 36th SS

Post by les hearn »

Stigroadie wrote:
les hearn wrote:
Ropes wrote: No need to the 82nd as the 101st have the same stuff.
tru
Not true, lots of details differ that's one thing that makes it an interesting subject to re-enact. Might not be obvious to the punter or the casual observer.
The overriding reason to start any group is an interest in their history as a unit I would have thought. Perhaps kit plays a part for some. Esp. when choosing between elite or ordinary soldiers. We have seen that many times, why so many SS? 'The guys like the camo and elite status.'
The 82nd and 101st have very different histories, with minor changes in their kit. The punters only see the kit.
For an SS unit they will only really see different runes? Only if they ask will the nature of the units history become obvious. Only if we inform them will they ever know the truth behind the unit.
my tru comment was to the fact that nearly all kit is on display out there allready
:wink:
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

grenmartens wrote:Ropes - not sure a group would be viable but not for any of the, somewhat hypocritical, reasons posted on this thread.
I haven't seen any "hypocritical reasons" on this thread????

The difference with portraying this unit (36th) than portraying say a concentration camp
guard or wearing Allgemeine SS kit is that at least the 36th would be in context of what us
re-enactors are all about also it would be in the time factor of what we would be portraying,
ie 1939-45, basically they were a fighting unit of sorts even so they did do some attrocities
which were very terrible but name an SS unit that didn't??

Basically to stop all portrayals would be paramount to white-washing World War 2, where
does one end??, just my two cents,

Pipes :wink:
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

les hearn wrote:my tru comment was to the fact that nearly all kit is on display out there allready
Sorry Les it didn't come over as I intended.
I knew what you meant but wanted to show there is more than just the 'first impression' to an impression.
Yes all SS look tough and brave in their camo and we all know the historical baggage they carry [Ya Boo Hiss Nasty SS dont want them at my railway etc etc]but little details like what they show on their collars takes you deeper into a divisional or regimental history.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Stigroadie wrote:
les hearn wrote:my tru comment was to the fact that nearly all kit is on display out there allready
I knew what you meant but wanted to show there is more than just the 'first impression' to an impression.
Yes all SS look tough and brave in their camo and we all know the historical baggage they carry [Ya Boo Hiss Nasty SS dont want them at my railway etc etc]but little details like what they show on their collars takes you deeper into a divisional or regimental history.
I agree Stig, nearly all SS Units wear more or less the same gear such as camo gear, buckles
etc but as you say it is the subtle differenes such as collar insignia and the Regt history etc
that make the difference.

Such as the portrayal iam trying to get off the ground (SS Charlemagne), there were slight
variations of uniform and kit worn because of the late War time factor which must be shown
if this portrayal is to be done correctly also a variation of insignia and awards being worn
(French awards/decorations), these type of portrayals imho make re-enactment more
intresting and have a varied theme rather than the same bog-standard SS kit we often see,
also if the correct history and information has been sourced properly make it more intresting
for the MOPs as well, just my two cents!!

Cheers Pipes :wink:
grenmartens

Post by grenmartens »

Peiper wrote:
grenmartens wrote:Ropes - not sure a group would be viable but not for any of the, somewhat hypocritical, reasons posted on this thread.
I haven't seen any "hypocritical reasons" on this thread????:
:shock: Should have gone to specsavers then Pipes. I think you'll find if you care to read my post again that you've agreed with my point - not to worry it's all bollox anyway after all :roll:
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

Stigroadie wrote:

hey no probs stig :wink:
no need for a sorry either
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Patton

Post by Patton »

I will weigh in since 36th SS is one of the units that I have studied......

I don't think a 36th SS impression is appropriate at a public event, unless the public event is the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. Coincidently, both Chicago and Warsaw have held reenactments of the uprising and 36th SS was represented. Other than that, don't go there with the public.

For an Eastern Front private battle, I don't see a problem with folks doing a 36th SS impression. Like it or not, the 36th SS was a Waffen-SS unit just like LAH or Das Reich. Yes, they participated in war crimes, but so did units from nearly every single Heer, Waffen-SS, and Luftwaffe division that served in the East. The 36th SS was arguably the best counter-partisan force the Germans fielded in the East, due in large part to their ferocity. I see how some folks could get anxious over this, but the partisan war in the occupied territories was just as militarily important as fighting the Allied forces on the front line.

I have thought about doing a 36th SS impression myself, but since I'm new I don't want to ruffle any feathers with the established reenactment community in the United States.

~Patton
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.

Post by THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. »

I knew this subject would finally surface one day, very interesting thread Ropes.
I too wondered how a unit portraying the 36th would be received, to be honest, i'm not sure what my thoughts on this matter really are yet. i think i'll just sit on the fence and watch the shrapnel fly. :lol:
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER.
3kp 1 pz div.LSSAH.

Ropes

Post by Ropes »

I dont reenact anymore and the thread was hyperthetical anyway. Just to see what over all opinions are about certain units and what is currently being tolerated.
Gren.Johannes

Post by Gren.Johannes »

Hi there it's been a while since I was on .....
Wow dirlewangers bad boys .....you are very brave , mind you we could have war crimes trials re-enactments by the ( nasty boo hiss ) SS against the 36th , the beating to death of uncle Oscar ( over a long weekend of course) .
J
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Ropes wrote:Ok I might take a bit of a backlash from this one but id like too see what people opinions are. The Allgemine SS thread got me thinking of this So anyway here goes. If say I were to start up a group representing the 36th SS dirlewanger how would the reenacting community react as a whole? Before I get the barrage of Scum, Wakners, Farb it would be done too the highest possible standard and with the purpose of education. Members would be only be accepted if they were part of the pre exisitng reenactors community as not too encourage the "Railway Nazi zombie" type from joining and research would be paramount. I know this unit is far from everyones cup of tea and is possibley one of the darkest chapters in the Third reich's history. but outside of axis reenactors and other military cricles they are generally unheard of. So let me know what you think.

** Grabs stahlhelm and runs for cover**

no one really cares do as you wish , re-enact what you want as its your money and your personal choice , i do as i please and spent my money as i please .
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
JDR

Post by JDR »

on the plus side reenacting the 36th Dirlewanger is that no SS runes or Cuff title so while at an event unlikely to upset the run of the mill mop or uneducated.
Funny some shows may even invite you over the conventional W-SS groups due to this fact.
And that boys is how you take a penalty.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”