ID Disks (Erkennungsmarke)

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Panzer212

ID Disks (Erkennungsmarke)

Post by Panzer212 »

I have been doing some research and am still thoroughly confused on what unit went on the ID disk. From what I have read the unit you had on your disk was not the same as the unit you belonged to at the front. You had the ersatz battalion or stamm kompanie, you were put in when being inducted into the military, on your disk. Am I correct in believing this? What I want to know is what unit do I put on my disk? How did you all figure out what was right for your disk?
Halle

Re: ID Disks (Erkennungsmarke)

Post by Halle »

www.dererstezug.com/Erkennungsmarke.htm

I think this pretty much covers it :D
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Panzer212

Post by Panzer212 »

Thanks, but I have read that already. I am just wondering how did you all figure which unit to put, Inf. Ers. Btl. 480, 543, 125, 524... Or did you put any random unit? In other words is the unit on your disk historically correct to the soldier you are trying to portray and the unit you belong to?
Halle

Post by Halle »

Mine ; 367 Geb.Jg.Reg 100

I do 1938/9 .

Work Out WHICH Unit , WHEN it was issued , HOW your Character came to be in the Services - have a Good Look at ORIGINAL examples - Bingo ! :D
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Panzer212

Post by Panzer212 »

That is when I get stumped, early war disks are a bit more simple then late war disks. If I was portraying a grenider in the 352nd infantry division in Normandy, I would not put "352 Inf.Gr.Reg. 916" on my disk, because they would not have issued me my disk. A replacement battalion "ersatz" would have issued me my disk before I ever even got to the 352nd. I'll dive a little deeper and see if I can come up with anything.
POA1944

Post by POA1944 »

I am really interested in knowing what to do as well cause I do late war heer infanterie,and I need my ID Disk stamped asap.
In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.
-Erwin Rommel

Grenadier Erich Kessler

Sta.Kp.Gren.Ers.Btl.199

II./984. Grenadier Regiment 275. Infanterie
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Discs were issued at training stage so should have the 'Ersatz' or 'Ausbildung' unit for your chosen frontline unit. Research has to be done on your particular unit and the time period you portray as these replacement and training unit were sometimes seperate entities and sometimes the same, so this would change on the disc. On the odd occasion when discs were lost or damages once you had gone to your frontline unit they would be replaced with a disc depicting that unit. These would be the exception rather than the rule.
POA1944

Post by POA1944 »

I am going to use the same unit markings from my original WWII German Ersatz Grenadier Battalion ID Disk.
In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.
-Erwin Rommel

Grenadier Erich Kessler

Sta.Kp.Gren.Ers.Btl.199

II./984. Grenadier Regiment 275. Infanterie
21PzSoldat

Post by 21PzSoldat »

The German-language Lexicon-der-Wehrmacht web site (www.lexicon-der-wehrmacht.de) has the associated "Ersatz" unit information for many German regiments. For my regiment (125. Pz. Gr.) it shows that, in summer 1943, when 125. was re-built (original unit destroyed in Tunisia a few months earlier), the "zustaendig" (responsible) Ersatz unit for the regiment was Pz. Gr. Ers. Btl. 104, in Landau (Wehrkreis XII).

You may be able to find the exact info you need on that web site. Wenn du kein Deutsch kannst, I or some other German speaker here could help you navigate the web site and find what you need.
Andreas Hofer
5./Pz.Gr.R. 125/21. Pz.Div.

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”