Jack boots - Stretching

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
austealth

Jack boots - Stretching

Post by austealth »

Gday,

Finally got a set of jack boots 44 EU, online and tried them on by my calfs are a little to big I think, im having an issue with getting them in there.
im not Fat I just do alot of running so I have muscle build up.

My Question is, Is this common and is there a way to shape the boot or stretch it out for my legs as the size 44 is good just cant squeeze in there. LEL
Thanks Guys
funker50

Re: Jack boots - Stretching

Post by funker50 »

can you get them on properly but they are not comfy when on or are your calfs just too big to even get them on?

Either way try soaking them and putting them on/wearing them till they've shaped better to you /dried?

m
Vorwärts und aufwärts!
saddler

Post by saddler »

ONLY DO THIS IF THE BOOT IS A GOOD FIT FOR YOUR FOOT

You need to get them on in a bath of warm (NOT HOT) water:
Allow the leather to soak for about 20-30 minutes, in warm water...you may want to only soak the leg part, or you can do the whole boot...your choice.
Once fully soaked carefully put them on, trying not to stretch them lengthways.
The soaked leather will take on a putty like state & be easy to stretch/mark.
Once on, try to get the leg section more stretched by natural movement.

Allow to dry away from heat...then when dry apply a good leather dressing/hide food.
(Aussie Leather Dressing/Ko-Cho-Line/Mink Oil Paste)
If you want to use neatsfoot oil it's against my advice....horrible stuff!

The only issue may be if the uppers are chrome tanned as they'll not stretch in warm water.

The other option is to take the boots to a saddler, or a cobbler.
I've done a few riding boot modification jobs that are exactly the issue you're having.
They'll add a tapered strip to the rear seams; it'll blend in well & such repair jobs are an old way to fix such issues
austealth

Post by austealth »

funker50 wrote:can you get them on properly but they are not comfy when on or are your calfs just too big to even get them on?

Either way try soaking them and putting them on/wearing them till they've shaped better to you /dried?

m
my toes go in just not my heal its my calfs.

saddler Ill give that a try aso PM'ed you saddler cheers

so people often have this issue ?
Halle

Post by Halle »

Ten years or so ago I bought a pair of what I think were E German jackboots from RAU - had em re soled with the correct hobnails, they were tight but fine . Hadn't worn them for many years , tried em on recently, my left foot just wouldn't go in , and oddly enough my right foot is bigger and wider and causes me more problems with fitted boots and shoes. I think I'll try saddlers suggestion , nothing to lose .... :roll:
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”