Fury Film Release (UK) - 22/10/2014

Moderator: Pirkka

Johann Bauer

Re: Fury Film Release (UK) - 22/10/2014

Post by Johann Bauer »

I watched it and it was basically a waste of time and money
The strawberry on the cake was at the end... If you want to see how a wrecked Sherman tank that cannot move, can kill an entire SS regiment of 300 men armed with panzerfausts, stick grenades, etc, etc... then this is your film

Ps, sound is terrible (I though it was me that couldn't understand the dialogues)..

Rubbish, want my money back

Very poor scenarios and lack of vehicles as well..
Johann Bauer

Post by Johann Bauer »

And also.. How long did it take to the 300 Germans marching to the Sherman tank to reach it?? They made it look like it was hours! Pisstake
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

One bloke with a Panzerfaust would do it but again no film

How many blokes do you think are in a regiment? It's not 300 lol
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

Lack of vehicles?

So the real tiger, panther, mk4 , 251 ,250, steyr, blitz x2, 8 ton half track, hetzer, kubel, schwimmer, kettenkrad were not enough?
Milmart

Post by Milmart »

ssparatrooper wrote:So the real tiger, panther, mk4 , 251 ,250, steyr, blitz x2, 8 ton half track, hetzer, kubel, schwimmer, kettenkrad were not enough?
The Tiger scene was over hyped

The Cadman Panther you saw in profile so could have been made out of cardboard for all we know

The Pz kpfw IV was in Wiking markings

The rest of the vehicles you hardly saw - apart from the 251D (briefly)
We assist private collectors and museums to enhance their collections in the pursuit of the conservation and preservation of military history.
www.milmart_militaria.net
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

This film is not about the Germans the waffen ss it's about that tank it's got lots of good detail and effects, i have had a lot of combat veterans from the Falklands and afghan say it's the most realistic shit they have seen and they should know, yes the yanks killing everyone at the end is daft but it's a film and they love an alimo scenario look at spr where eight blokes destroy an armoured kampfgruppe it's Hollywood
Milmart

Post by Milmart »

Its a film set during WW2 and that's about the best you can say about it.
We assist private collectors and museums to enhance their collections in the pursuit of the conservation and preservation of military history.
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

I should have realised the original vehicles and paks and decent uniforms would have been lost on most of you and the director should have included rubber tanks made up paks and gas firing machine guns and cheap Chinese uniforms and motor bikes lol
MasGew

Post by MasGew »

I’ve seen the film and enjoyed it both for its entertainment value and the level of detail for a Hollywood film. Perhaps it’s my age but I remember the US black and white films with a mass of M48 or M24 tanks marked with large German crosses with some different colour scheme to differentiate them from the M48 or M24’s being used by the US side in the film. This film is very good at how accurate they have tried to be in regard to uniforms and equipment. It seems the film used the best available repro uniforms, real vehicles instead of cheap and cheerful repros or even worse, uniforms that bore no resemblance to originals but were sufficient to differentiate which army’s troops you might be looking at.

On the downside, and you’d have to be unrealistic to expect otherwise, tactics and in particular spacing between units whether they are men, vehicles, or weapon systems would always be subject to the needs of the camera and what would best sell the film to the greater public audience, and in particular that in the USA. Mind you I look at some of our re-enactment battles and the film is no worse at replicating this aspect than at a lot of public and even some private battles we see here in the UK.

If you enjoyed SPR and BoB with their limitations you will certainly enjoy this film.

If people are going to critique a book or film then I prefer to look at a balanced review that includes both negative and positive aspects. Having seen some of the responses being offered I don’t believe they are either balanced or fair.
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Well I thought the first two-thirds of the film was well up to scratch, and I DID appreciate seeing genuine German kit instead of the usual rubbish painted grey with oversize crosses on!! The opening scene with the wrecks I had fun checking off what was there.... but then I'm a tank nut anyway. :D

The Tiger scene was good enough - I accepted that for cinematic reasons it was compressed into a rather small area but the tactics were sound.

The last third.... well it's an American film, made for Hollywood so I wasn't surprised. Funny how Teflon yanks aren't just at reenactment battles eh? :lol:

Now we all know the PERFECT film for us would be a German tank crew, starting off in a Stug on the Eastern Front, get shot up, re-equipped with Tigers... sent to France and retreat to Germany after D-day but becoming increasingly disillusioned, lots of destruction of Allied kit, pathos, friends killed or betrayed by high command etc etc..... the bastard offspring of Cross of Iron/Fury/The Beast with 100% correct kit, camo schemes etc etc... 8)

Never happen will it? :roll:
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Halle

Post by Halle »

ssparatrooper wrote:I should have realised the original vehicles and paks and decent uniforms would have been lost on most of you and the director should have included rubber tanks made up paks and gas firing machine guns and cheap Chinese uniforms and motor bikes lol

None of the criticism is a personal attack . As stated by others , the vehicles , uniforms etc. we're great , and as you mentioned , many scenes were cut etc. And that's the reason for the criticism - it's not a very good film , that's all .

Pug42 - great idea for a film ! Have a word with HBO :lol:
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

I've not taken anything personally I'm pretty thick skinned

I know how much effort went into it to get the little things right on all sides but it's a film, I am just waiting to see how many fury reenactors now pop up in us tank uniforms etc reenacting this film another odd point is the allied reenactors love it

And the Germans win! but as it's Hollywood you don't see them win just like a bridge too far you just see the allies loose, there was so much more filmed from the 8cm gw to the SMG groups the german briefing with the sturmbannfuhrer and the correct zug attacks but it's all cut out to make the Germans shadows and corpses

I still think it is a good man film to watch and I will go and watch it again
Milmart

Post by Milmart »

David Rae (Military Advisor: tank/infantry) played the Tiger commander
gurowski

Post by gurowski »

WTF is that uniform? The latest design from China?
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

It came from this original photo
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (155.55 KiB) Viewed 10643 times

Return to “Books, films & other media”