SS-GB

Moderator: Pirkka

Major von Kluge

SS-GB

Post by Major von Kluge »

A film adaptation of Len Deightons excellent novel SS-GB was long overdue and I am enjoying watching the BBC series. But my goodness, where are they getting their uniform advice from? The leading baddie SS Standartenfuhrer Dr Huth appears to be wearing an Iron Cross 1st class in place of a Knights Cross at his neck. His coat is a Sturm Miltech replica ledermantel. While these are not bad replicas you would think the BBC could afford a better quality and more authentic replica (if not an original) for a lead character. In other scenes I have observed GDR NVA greatcoats being worn by soldiers in the background. However, I was amused when my girlfriend who does not normally notice such things, remarked on the smartness of Dr Huths uniform, and asked me did I wear one like it when I was in the military. :D Has anybody else noticed such mistakes in this production?
redsun

Re: SS-GB

Post by redsun »

Quite a few of the helmets are the chinese repros with with oddly swept back look
MP44

Re: SS-GB

Post by MP44 »

Major von Kluge wrote:A film adaptation of Len Deightons excellent novel SS-GB was long overdue and I am enjoying watching the BBC series. But my goodness, where are they getting their uniform advice from? The leading baddie SS Standartenfuhrer Dr Huth appears to be wearing an Iron Cross 1st class in place of a Knights Cross at his neck. His coat is a Sturm Miltech replica ledermantel. While these are not bad replicas you would think the BBC could afford a better quality and more authentic replica (if not an original) for a lead character. In other scenes I have observed GDR NVA greatcoats being worn by soldiers in the background. However, I was amused when my girlfriend who does not normally notice such things, remarked on the smartness of Dr Huths uniform, and asked me did I wear one like it when I was in the military. :D Has anybody else noticed such mistakes in this production?
Yes, but I expect someone at the BBC realised the value of original uniforms and got shot of them decades ago. Look back at things like Allo Allo from the eighties and the German uniforms aren't originals.

Return to “Books, films & other media”