Sniper Badge - searching for the one!

Moderator: pzrwest

Bergführer

Sniper Badge - searching for the one!

Post by Bergführer »

Hi there, I was looking for a good (so not only nice-looking but accurate too) replica and I was quite disappointed with those offered on the market ; (

Here is the original one from WAF, this pattern is the most common one that is claimed to be original, and it's just like the drawing from Senich book:
Here is the popular reproduction offered everywhere:(made from different materials but it's still the same pattern)
Maybe I'm blind, but it looks more like a mad pigeon looking for bread pieces...
Here is something that is sold as high end reproduction:
Again...pigeon revenge? This time it looks like our bird hit the wall and has a really bad headache :/
So, after several hours of work I can show this one:
It's still not perfect (but well, only original stuff can be perfect) but there are technical gaps that can't be jumped now.

What do you think?
Franz repper

Re: Sniper Badge - searching for the one!

Post by Franz repper »

The brian L Davis book states that there was three grades , To this 3rd class was un edged 20 kills . 2nd class has a silver edge this was for 40 kills the 1st class was gold edged ad was awarded for 60 kills . Going on that the pigeon below the closest
ImageImageImageImageImage
Bergführer

Post by Bergführer »

3rd Class was un-edged so there was no bronze/silver/gold wire around the badge, but there was a green edge around, here are two photos of original ones:

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

OK thanks sir the book only has line drawings in
ImageImageImageImageImage
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

I'm Curious, do you have ANY period photographs that these were worn?
CDB taking it way too serious!
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Because it was instituted so late in the war not many qualified for it and I think those snipers that did were fighting exclusively on the Eastern fornt. Ive never seen any pictures of one being worn. A well known german sniper who did win the award claimed it would be suicide to wear it.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

There is exactly óne photograph of these being awarded, somewhere in an office very late in the war. I read about these all the time, but every story is the same: They got the paper certificate, SOMETIMES the badge (rarely) and IF they recieved it, they would send it home or get rid of it some other way. This is one of the things that just wasn't worn. Remember, these were introduced in september '44 and the kill count started at zero again...

Return to “Medals and Awards”