tank destruction badge

Moderator: pzrwest

Sheikh Al Stranghi

tank destruction badge

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Was the tank destruction badge awarded with the EK2, or could it be awarded without the EK2 accompanying it?

Cheers
Peiper

Re: tank destruction badge

Post by Peiper »

Sheikh Al Stranghi wrote:Was the tank destruction badge awarded with the EK2, or could it be awarded without the EK2 accompanying it?

Cheers
It was an award on its own, each single silver strip represented a tank being destroyed or
immobilized, after 5 silver strips won they would be exchanged for a gold one, then the
process would continue with additional silver strips being worn below the gold award.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

That's not the question peips ;) Are you sure about it being an award on its own though? I've never seen a photograph of someone with a TDB without the EK2 as well... Not to mention the fact that knacking a tank in close combat is a pretty heroic act. That's why I am asking!
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

I think it's coincidence that you see them with the iron cross 2nd class...remember that the cross 2nd classe was common especially at the end of the war. :wink:
Tank destroying badge is an award of it's own.
Remember the the little hj boy helmut Hebner,he had his anti-tank badge first,AFTER that he recieved the cross 2ndclass
by Hitler himself just near the bunker.I'll think everybody knows that footage.

The best repro is an original...
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Yup, good point
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Imme the EKII is not part of the Tank destruction badge they are two diffrent awards . So the tank destruction badge can be worn with out the EKII
ImageImageImageImageImage
Sheikh Al Stranghi

OK thanks
Sheikh Al Stranghi

"

Die Vernichtung eines Panzers konnte als Sturmangriff, im Sinne des (Allgemeinen) Sturmabzeichens angerechnet werden.

Oft wurde dem betreffenden Soldaten für "persönlichen Mut und Tapferkeit" das Eiserne Kreuz II. oder I. Klasse verliehen.2

Ab einer Verfügung vom 18. Dezember 1943 durfte das "Panzervernichtungsabzeichen"* auch an Soldaten verliehen werden, die einen Panzer mit der Raketenpanzerbüchse 43 (sog. "Ofenrohr" oder "Panzerschreck") oder einer "Panzerfaust" vernichtet hatten.""
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Yes but they are still diffrent awards
ImageImageImageImageImage
rednas

Post by rednas »

I heard from someone who in 1945 destroyed a tank that he "only" recieved a EK2 for that event.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

E-K's are valour awards and were awarded for almost any act of heroism,
T-D-Strips were a combat badge and you had to follow a certain criteria.

Get some decent German award/badge ref books Sheikh and you will understand what i mean :?:

Pipes :wink:
Herr Taff

Post by Herr Taff »

EK's were not only for valour, they were for service as well, (eg organising supplies,etc) such as the MSM in the uk. Bit strange I know as there was the war merit cross, but there was considerable overlap with the two awards.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Herr Taff wrote:EK's were not only for valour, they were for service as well, (eg organising supplies,etc) such as the MSM in the uk. Bit strange I know as there was the war merit cross, but there was considerable overlap with the two awards.
Thanks Taff i think you will find i said the EK was awarded for almost any act of heroism, in other words there was no
set criteria for them and were classed as an "award", unlike the T-D strip which was classed as a "combat badge" and had a
set criteria, basically destroying or imobilising a Tank or Armoured vehicle single handed without the aid of Anti-Tank support.

Basically if another guy on an SP or PAK-Gun destroyed the same tank he would not be eligible for the tank-destuction strip
and more than likely would be awarded the EK or Merit Cross (with swords), this would be due to the fact the tank destroyed
was not classed as a single handed assault!!

As for the EK being awarded for service as well, im not sure on that one?, thats why i thought the War Merit Crosses were
introduced, including the combattants version with swords and also three different classes of this award, 1st, 2nd and 3rd
respectfully ??

Cheers Pipes :wink:
martin12ss

Post by martin12ss »

From what I've read EK2 is very much linked into unit actions. If say the officer in charge recives say the EK1 then with a filtering down system his men will recieve the EK2. I've read a couple of personal histories in which individuals are recentful of this type of system when they serve under particular officers.
Herr Taff

Post by Herr Taff »

Yes it is a bit strange that the EK2 was for service as well, but it is in the criteria laid down in 1939, and I quote "For outstanding service to Service personnel and for bravery in the face of the enemy"

With regard to 3 classes of war merit cross, I take it you mean the knights cross, as there was no third class KVK?

Return to “Medals and Awards”