German Cross after the Knight's-Cross?

Moderator: pzrwest

Oberleutnant Ulrich

German Cross after the Knight's-Cross?

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

So, a Luftwaffe ace got the night's Cross during the Battle of Britain...was it more common for them to get the German Cross in gold afterwards when it was isued or just go on to the oak leaves etc?
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
Brigardefuhrer

Re: German Cross after the Knight's-Cross?

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

From the regulations in the book Awards of the Heer.This order was not a gap filler between the EKI and the knights cross,it was not necessary to be a recipient of the german cross to be awarded the knights cross,nor was the opposite true.You did it seems have to have the EKI to be awarded the german cross in gold and the KVKI with swords respectively.John
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Thanks John,

However in the Luftwaffe it's based on kills and there are a fair few Luftwaffe members that got the Knight's Cross, then later the German Cross...just wasn't if this was automatic or more or less awarded more "easily" also a few tankers were awarded the German Cross after the Knight's Cross even after they got the Knight's Cross after 1941...

I guess we always find the exception, for example German crosses being worn in both the silver and gold grade by some bling obsesive people...now why didn't Göring try it himself :D
Arthur

Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Found some more info from my war merit cross book,from a further notice of article 6,3(1)the Fuhrer and commander in chief of the armed forces reserves the right to award the german cross in gold either prior to or after the knights cross of the Iron cross.
(2) The award is dependent on repeated special gallant actions.
(3)Recommendations are to be made through the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (WZ/III).
You could win both the gold and silver DK,it was against regulations to wear both (which was not obeyed by most.)
Hermann did fancey the knights cross of the war merit cross,but Hitler put a block on that.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Thanks, for the info. My pilot impression is that of an ace that first served though the Spanish civil war then went through the battle of britain, 20 kills would have got you the Knight's-Cross at that time, but I am trying to get out of wearing the german Cross, most don't understand it being a bravery award...so I was looking into the probability of it.

haha..I'm sure Göring was eyeing the German Cross with Diamonds with a greedy eye ;)
Arthur

RZM

Post by RZM »

If Goring had it his way,he'd have had every award,and invented a few as well lol.... I hadnt realised how into himself he really was until i read the Devils Deciples,by Anthony Read,about Hitlers inner circle..how his body held the weight of his ego is beyond me...
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."

Return to “Medals and Awards”