Award conversions - German to Soviet

Moderator: pzrwest

askhati

Award conversions - German to Soviet

Post by askhati »

Bit of a Soviet-related question, hope the knowledgeable folks here can help.

I am trying to "convert" a German award collection of an individual into a Soviet equivalent. The ideas is that if a German re-enactor has earned a set of medals - e.g. Infantry Assault Badge, EKII and I, Wound Badge - and he transfers to a Russian re-enactment unit, what would those German awards convert into on the Soviet side?

Now, to forestall the obvious "well, that depends on how the Soviet group awards them" replies - I am trying to convert the awards based on real-life criteria, which is roughly how both the German and Russian units award their medals. Destroy an enemy tank with a hand-held weapon as a German, and you get the Tank Destruction Badge in Silver; do it on the Soviet side, and you get...?

I have done a bit of reading on wikipedia (maybe not the best source) on the matter, but the Soviet awards and medals seem to be far less clear-cut than the German ones in terms of award criteria. Any help would be appreciated on mapping the most common of the German awards over to Soviet.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
pepperpot

Re: Award conversions - German to Soviet

Post by pepperpot »

that will depend on the unit rules, I have an EK1 awarded to me for services rendered and hospital attendance during re enactment. But my current unit doesn't recognise them as they haven't been awarded by this unit. Probably same goes for any re enactment unit.
graham
kiler

Re: Award conversions - German to Soviet

Post by kiler »

I would say that only wound badges are quite similar (although Russian ones are just simple stripes of material). Other badges are not so easily transferable (maybe German arm shields would be similar in some way to Russian campaign medals). Most Russian badges are "exemplary soldier" type: exemplary shooter, exemplary tankman, etc. . I don`t know the exact criteria but I believe they were rather of discretionary type.

Return to “Medals and Awards”