Infantry Assault Badge

Moderator: pzrwest

Peiper

Re: Infantry Assault Badge

Post by Peiper »

Hi lads :D
Just chucking my penneth worth in lol, basically in my opinion loops for badges were made by the soldier himself not added
in production at the factories, the production line wouldn't know how many loops to add obviously because every individual
was different ie= some were awarded more badges than others, also that's why soldiers were issued sewing kits to do
such a job.

Obviously the methods of attatching a badge would differ from man to man but all original tunics ive seen had the standard
loops, if added security was need i would imagine the soldier would add a couple of stitches to sew on the badge itself but
normally loops were used, this is going by the many original tunics ive seen and the few ive owned, the loops are there
gents.

Cheers Pipes :wink:
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Herr Peiper I think the whole topic was about the factory adding them and like you said the factory did not . The tailor would do this in the unit on the original tunics I have seen and owned the loops mainly in a thicker cotton thread
ImageImageImageImageImage
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

There are many different schools of thought concerning the attachment of awards to the uniform. It is correct what a previous poster stated in that the more important award was centred in the middle of the pocket and the others moved around anti-clockwise on opposing bottom corners in order of importance.

With regard to sewing loops or piercing the material, I admit I've heard different from both W-SS veterans and fellow re-enactors alike. However, from a personal point of view, I was advised when I first joined the SBG over ten years ago to push the pin through the pocket and secure the pin behind the pocket with a large piece of stiff cardboard. This prevented the pin from being pulled through the material if it snagged and it also snugly secured the award to the pocket so it didn't flop about and possibly snag when running around in battles.

Just my two-pence worth.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

Has anybody seen any pictures of NSDAP badges worn on combat tunics? Was it ever done?
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

John Wilson wrote:Has anybody seen any pictures of NSDAP badges worn on combat tunics? Was it ever done?
what like the sports badge ? and SA sports badge ? or are you refering to the Party badge john
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

The Party badge really, I've seen pictures of other awards along the lines of the ones you mentioned but they tend to appear on parades and flash uniforms. I'd really like to know if there was much use of basic party insignia once the country was at war. It goes without saying that there were Nazis involved in all the German armed services, why wouldn't they wear their badge?
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

John I have photos of the party badge in use but that I must admit they tend to be of the higher rank . do you count the Ehrenwinkel Alte Kämpfer Old fighters Chevron ? As I have an intresting story about this one from a SS Veteran

Return to “Medals and Awards”