Knights Crosses for NCO's and OR's

Moderator: pzrwest

Peiper

Knights Crosses for NCO's and OR's

Post by Peiper »

Servus lads,

reading some of the posts gave me the idea to put this thread up. A well known NCO Knights Cross winner from the Langemarck Brigade was SS-Unterscharfuhrer Remi Schrijnen, at the time of this award Schrijnen was an SS-Sturmann (Lance-Corporal), it is intresting to note that only a handful of Belgians were awarded this decoration.

Another NCO who won the Knights Cross was Oberfeldwebel Walter Wriedt of the 138th Gebirgs Regt, Wriedt was awarded his Ritter-Kreuz in Oct 1943. There were a number of NCO's from the Gross-Deutschland Division who were awarded the Knights Cross, here are just a few. Oberwachtmeister Wilhelm Kessel who won his R-K in Feb 1944, Oberfeldwebel Martin Beilig and Oberwachtmeister Wilhelm Wegner.

An intresting case which i had to post up was the Knights Cross award to Grenadier (Private) Gunter Halm, at the age of just nineteen when the R-K was awarded he was the youngest recipient in the German Army. Halm was awarded his Knights Cross on the 29th July 1942 for an action in the Western Desert. Halm served with the 104th Pz Gren Rgt of the 21st Pz Div and was the only surviving member of an Anti-tank gun crew who stopped a British tank advance on the 22nd July 1942, he was awarded the R-K personally by General Rommel.

Good hunting, Peiper.
"I'll show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Franz repper

Re: Knights Crosses for NCO's and OR's

Post by Franz repper »

Here is another good one my dear mr Peiper
Obergefreiter Eduard Hug was born 23 Sep 1921 and started his military career in Feb 1941 after his RAD service. He joined Jäger Regiment 75 and was placed in 1 Kompanie. Jäger regiment was part of the 1st Infanterie Division.In the heavy fighting around the Vyasma area, and suffering considerable losses in this period Eduard qualified for his Infantry Assault Badge. The Division was considered to be so badly battered that it was moved to France in the December of 1941. During the rest and refit it was reclassed as a Jäger division the February of 1942. On return to the Eastern Front it was allocated to Heeres gruppe Nord, During the March and April the regiment took part in the relief of the German units encircled in the Demjansk pocket he also was promoted to Obergefreiter. During the retreat north west from the river Bug Eduard so distinguished himself as to be awarded the EKII, EKI within only two days, the EKII 2 August, EKI 4 August. On September the 2nd the division was involved in defensive actions against the Russian advance. During a Russian assault on there units positions Eduard had no clear field of view with his MG-42 so when the MG covering the area fell silent its crew killed. Eduard took his own and ran towards the knocked out gun position. Running he saw 70 + enemy troops running and realized that he would never make it . Stopping where he was and totally open to enemy fire, he slung the the MG by its strap and opened fire with it rate of fire the Russians soon retreated. Getting himself into the foxhole of the dead crew he set up his MG drove back six further attempts. In the fading light the Russians launched a seventh attack this time the Russians ran forward firing their own machine guns they were also coverd by there own MGs forcing Eduard to keep in the cover of the foxhole. This way the Russians were able to get within 40 to 30 meters of the foxhole and throw grenades at the foxhole. During this time Eduard had a stoppage and didn't have time to clear it not panicking quickly started to throw his grenades this made the attack falter and gave him time to clear the MG. Now opening fire his MG cut great gaps it the Russian ranks making them panic and run, the regimental reserve came up in the night and closed the gaps in the front and the German front was secured. His divisional commander recommended him for the Knights Cross which he was awarded one year later 2 September 1944 so this lowly young Obergefreiter had won the Iron Cross II ,Iron Cross I and Knights cross all within a month.

Here is a photo I have in my collection of a N.C.O getting his knights cross
I have posted this be for I know
ImageImageImageImageImage
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Greetings lads :D , here is a good one Herr Repper, this gent has been mentioned on here before (i think by me as well) but i still had to include him, his feat of winning the RK is a story in itself, in my opinion he should have won the swords and oakleaves for this little exploit aswell as the Knights Cross, im talking about SS-Sturmmann Fritz Christen. Apparantly Christen belonged to the Totenkopf and served with an Anti-Tank Unit, the actual incident happened in Sept 41 near Lushno. Christen's Unit had been wiped out and he was the only survivor, he had been manning his Pak-40 for three days single handed before relief arrived. When the relief column did turn up they discovered Christen alone surrounded by a hundred enemy corpses and 13 destroyed Russian T34 Tanks. Christen was awarded his R-K personally by Hitler himself who had insisted on conducting the award ceremony because he was so impressed , a rare honour for such a junior rank. Hope you have enjoyed my post, regards Peiper :wink:
totenkopf_oberschutze_Fritz_Christe.jpg
: this is a picture of Fritz Christen wearing his award.
Dietmar

Post by Dietmar »

And judging by his helmet strap he must have been left handed. Not many of those about in them days (Yup, I'm cack-handed as well).
Der alte Landser

Post by Der alte Landser »

I know this is an older thread, and it's also my first post on PzGren.net. Outstanding forum and lots of great intel. SS-Panzergrenadier Eric Göstl was the only SS-Panzergrenadier to receive the Ritterkreuz for a decisive act of heroism in battle during the war. He was born in Wien on 17 April 1925 and served as a Maschinengewehrschütze Nr. 1 in the 6. Kp, SS-PzGrenRgt 1, LSSAH. Göstl enlisted in the LSSAH as an NCO candidate in 1943. He earned the Ritterkreuz on 31.October.1944.

The story is told in detail on pg 750 of Ernst-Günther's book "Die Ritterkreuzträger der Waffen-SS". Briefly: Göstl's unit was assigned to a defensive sector near Tilly during the campaign for Normandy, some kilometers from Caen. Blinded by a heavy barrage of allied indirect fire on his unit, Göstl occupied one of only a few positions that was still intact as the enemy mounted the assault. Although unable to see, Göstl stood to his position and repulsed the assault.

Eric Göstl was evacuated from the battle front to the Waffen-SS School for Blinded Soldiers in Prague, where he was awarded the Ritterkreuz by his commander, SS-Standartenführer Albert Frey on 11.November.1944. Frey related that not a few of those present at the ceremony had tears in their eyes when their comrade was decorated.
Der alte Landser

SS-Oberscharführer Fritz Christen received the Ritterkreuz as an SS-Sturmmann while serving as an antitank gunner on a 5 cm PaK-Geschütz in the 2. Kp III. SS-Panzerjägerabteilung, SS-Totenkopfdivision near Lushno on the Eastern Front, 20.October.1941. He was the first junior enlisted soldier of the Waffen-SS to earn the Ritterkreuz. On 24.September.1941 at about noon, between 12 to 15 Soviet tanks attacked the defensive sector that Christen's PaK was supporting. With heavy supporting fire and infantry, the attacking Soviets broke into the German fire position. Acting alone, Christen loaded and fired his gun, destroying six enemy tanks while under heavy fire. At dawn on the next morning the Soviets launched another tank-infantry attack. Christen destroyed seven enemy tanks, causing the Soviet infantry to break off their attack.

Christen's battalion commander SS-Hauptsturmfüher Georg Bochmann wrote in his award recommendation: "SS-Sturmmann Christen has, in addition to his soldierly knowledge, demonstrated exemplary courage and the highest degree of combat capability and willpower. Wherever the enemy shows himself [Christen] is ready to destroy him.

Fritz Christen enlisted in the Waffen-SS as a war volunteer in May 1940. He was decorated with the EK II on 20.July.1941 and with the EK I on 24.September.1941.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Greetings Der Landser :D
If you read above on this page you will see i have already included Christen.

Regards Peiper. :wink:
Der alte Landser

Peiper: Roger, I was just adding some details in addition to what you've already done. They must've been incredible soldiers.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Der alte Landser wrote:Peiper: Roger, I was just adding some details in addition to what you've already done. They must've been incredible soldiers.
No worries :D

Yes these guys set the standards!

Regards Peiper.
Viktor Kauer

Post by Viktor Kauer »

Some pictures I've picked up over the years:

And good ol' Wünsche as an Unterscharführer!
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

The top picture is Gerardes Mooyman,a dutch volenteer,who destroyed more than 15 soviet tanks in feb;1943 and the first non german to win RK.
Your second picture is Alfred Schneidereit,not Wunsche,who won his RK in feb1943 as a SS Sturmbannfuhrer.He joined the SSVT in 1934 and made an Untersturmfuhrer in 1936.
Schneidereit won his RK on Dec;20 1943.
This info; is from 'Their Honour was Loyalty!.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Viktor Kauer

Post by Viktor Kauer »

Ah, damn faulty sources >.<

Thanks for the correction :)
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Alfred Schneidereit won his RK on 20.12.43 as a Rottenfuhrer in 8./SS-Pz.Gr. 1 "LSSAH" . Hitler personally gave him the RK and I have some photos of this which i got from Alfred many years ago , sadly he passes away some years ago .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
FRAUNSWARM

Post by FRAUNSWARM »

and alfred certainly didnt hold the rank of SS-Sturmbannfuhrer

Ich wurde nicht auf die Erde geschickt, um die Menschen zu ändern.
Verwände seine Schwächen.
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Alfred's final rank was SS Untersturmfuhrer .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group

Return to “Medals and Awards”