War merit award

Moderator: pzrwest

Walther

War merit award

Post by Walther »

Evening chaps,

Thought i'd pose this question as me and another lad in the group are scratching our heads over this. Both of us have been looking through our books to try and find examples and although I saw a good example on TV last night am still a bit unsure..

Basically, It's regarding the War Merit cross, specifically the one with swords.

When not worn as a medal, it has a pin back to attach to you best walking out clobber.

My question is, were these worn in the field, or were they strictly for dressie up events?

If, as I suspect that they were worn on just dress uniforms, then were there hard and fast rules on the wearing of the ribbon in the field. I've seen examples of the award on a ribbon bar - but could it be worn through the button hole like the Ostmedaille ribbon or the Iron Cross ones?

Thanks in advance for this one guys.

Neil.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

Crazy Feldgendarme

Re: War merit award

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

The pin back War merit Cross you show is the 1st class award which came both with and without swords and was worn on the breast pocket at all times and on all dress including the field uniform, this award was given without a ribbon because it was not worn as a medal but as an award.

The War Merit cross worn as a medal you refer to is the 2nd class which was in a bronze colour and once again issued both with and without swords this was worn as a medal on the day of issue through the second button hole (no swords were attached to show with or without swords), however thereafter only the ribbon was worn either through the button hole or on the ribbon bar over the breast pocket, when worn this way if the award was with swords a small set of swords was attached to the ribbon.

Higher still was the Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross with and without swords worn as a neck decoration which was in silver (there was also a version of this award in Gold but only two confirmed as issued) the gold award was issued only without swords.

A good book covering this award is
The War Merit Cross by Gordon Williamson and Josef Charita ISBN 1-932970-06-0
available from Epic Militaria,s book section

Book shows loads of pictures of all the awards and gives a list with career and sometimes a picture of the recipients of all known knights cross holders (a list of 1st and 2nd class would be impossible since the following were issued

2nd class with swords around 6,134,950
2nd class without swords 1,591,567
1st class without swords 91,239
1st class with swords 483,603
Knights cross silver without swords 48
Knights cross silver with swords approx 211

All of these awards could be made to both military personnel as well as civilians.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Dave Cooke
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

2nd class war merit awards beaing issued to SS nord
Yep dave your spot on I have a photo of a war merit on the brest pocket its out on loan I will try and get it back and post a picture of it
ImageImageImageImageImage
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Nice picture Franz showing the 2nd class medal through the 2nd buttonhole when awarded. remember though Walther this is not the one in your picture which is the 1st class and therefore worn pinned to the left breast pocket (when franzfinds the picture he will i am sure post it for your reference). there is of course many photos out there showing that very award in wear.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Walther

Post by Walther »

Thanks for your help on this guys much appreciated - in 3 posts you've covered more ground than I have in 3 weeks :D

BTW, nice pic Franz.

Neil.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

les hearn

Post by les hearn »

ok heres a wierd one

i have in my possesion a war merit with swords and a knights cross ..taken off a dead pilot in ww2 he was shot down over essex in the war ..it was liberated by my wifes grandfather when he was posted to look after a downed plane ...............he was in the arp
and was first on the scene
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Post by Der Spiess »

The one with swords is surprise surprise military and the one without is civilian...Just adding to the pile! :shock:
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
BaggyPants

Post by BaggyPants »

Kind of, Paul. The one without swords could still be awarded to military personnel if it was for something not related to military service, so it wasn't classed as civilian only. The one with swords could only be awarded to serving military personnel though. If I recall correctly, the award with swords was only given if the action it was awarded for involved combat.
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the medals and awards section?
FRAUNSWARM

Post by FRAUNSWARM »

As a general rule treat the wearing of the grades the same as the EK I, II and RK. the award of the merit cross without swords was issued to non combat personel not civilians ie if you was a admin clerk etc.. that performed meritous task. the second class was attached on awarding through the button hole as mentioned but could be court mounted and worn hanging on its own or attached to other medals above the left breast pocket, for special occasions- parades, walking out etc..

Ich wurde nicht auf die Erde geschickt, um die Menschen zu ändern.
Verwände seine Schwächen.

Return to “Medals and Awards”