Helmet Painting Questions

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

Wells

Helmet Painting Questions

Post by Wells »

Hello,
Just a few quick questions. I have a Chinese repro M40 Stahlhelm. As you can guess, the paint job on it sucks. So I was planning on repainting it. Should I remove the paint that is already on the helmet? If so, what is the best way of doing this? Also, I was thinking of painting the helmet Tamiya NATO black (I've seen someone else do this and thought it looked great) but I was wondering if there was any Tamiya alternatives to RAL 6006?
Thanks!
RZM

Re: Helmet Painting Questions

Post by RZM »

I'd strip it.that way if it's scratched the awful paint won't show through. I used a razor for the heavy paint..the type for scraping windows works good just watch your fingers. Then you can fine sand it with 150 grit sand paper on a mouse sander for the rest.
As for paints..???
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

Personally i would leave the original paint on to act as a primer, the more coats of paint
the better imho, especially if you want to use some aluminium oxide to act as a rough finish
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Wells

Post by Wells »

Thanks, guys!
fallschirmjaeger
Location: UK, Bedfordshire, WW2 Helmet Replication and Restoration County!

Post by fallschirmjaeger »

strip it with paint stripper. Then use 2 coats of paint and aluminum oxide if you are not after a very early war version!

p.s. be prepared to 'dig out' what seems to be car body filler on it, they use this to fill in little dents.....I prefer the dents!
Military Helmet & Hat Replication & Refurbishment
Now Available WW2 US Airborne Clickers- Airborne Crickets:
http://www.airborne-cricket.com/
Now Available Military Whistles - WarWhistles:
http://www.warwhistles.com/
RZM

Post by RZM »

fallschirmjaeger wrote:strip it with paint stripper. Then use 2 coats of paint and aluminum oxide if you are not after a very early war version!

p.s. be prepared to 'dig out' what seems to be car body filler on it, they use this to fill in little dents.....I prefer the dents!
That's what they did on my M40/55. Thought it was primer.
"Was ist das?"
"Ihr gefrorenesfleisch medaille. Rot,weiss und schwarz,fur blut,schnee und tod."

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”