Tobruk 1942 Camo color

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

SchutzeHagemann

Tobruk 1942 Camo color

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

I have an event in May that is based off of the Tobruk battle in spring 1942.

I now have the issue of what to paint over my M40 helmet. I am keeping the single heer decal as seen on originals.

My question to you all is this: Where can I find paint that is suitable for reproducing the type seen in Libya? I know there is a difference in the hue as the sand is different over parts of North Afrika.

Thanks in advance.

Sam
Kampfgruppe Steiner
peiper1944

Re: Tobruk 1942 Camo color

Post by peiper1944 »

SchutzeHagemann wrote:I have an event in May that is based off of the Tobruk battle in spring 1942.

I now have the issue of what to paint over my M40 helmet. I am keeping the single heer decal as seen on originals.

My question to you all is this: Where can I find paint that is suitable for reproducing the type seen in Libya? I know there is a difference in the hue as the sand is different over parts of North Afrika.

Thanks in advance.

Sam
As far as iam aware mate, the colour is the same,
the standard DAK issue sand/tan colour (not
ordinance tan)
Pipes
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
SplinterA

Post by SplinterA »

Ral 8000 was the standard base colour for armour so it wouldn't be unlikely for helmets to be found in that colour.
The base colour was changed in March '42 [RAL 8020] but the previous shade would still be around, some helmets never got repainted.
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

yes, RAL 8000 is probably more relevant. BY the time the order to produce new stocks was given, and delivery and supply to the units, it would have been well after the scenario you're after. For this reason, stick to RAL8000, which not readily available from stores.

On the other hand,the way it was applied varied from unit to unit. If you're doing a motorized / mechanized unit, it makes sense to have it spray painted, otherwise brush painted by hand.
SchutzeHagemann

Post by SchutzeHagemann »

Thanks everyone. The reason I was asking about different colors is because the two reference books I have on the subject say that helmet shades differed in Libya and elsewhere due to different colors of sand/dirt.

We are representing the 115th Inf. Regt. (mot), part of the 15th Panzer Division. I have some pictures of them in Summer 1941, but none in Summer 1942 so I wasn't sure what kind of change they went through.

Anyways thanks again!
Kampfgruppe Steiner
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

To add to the mixup, there's always the possibility of captured British paint and Italian paints :)

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”