Inner tube band...

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

LHistorian

Inner tube band...

Post by LHistorian »

Hey Folks,

Had a question or two about the inner tube bands for my helmet.
1. I'd like to use one, so can I just cut up a modern one and use it? I had heard somewhere that they had to be of Red color?? or can it just be the norm black?

2. Anyone know where I can pick up an inner tube? Still in the process of setting up a paypal, so at the moment ebay is out, anyone know of another place or avenue to find one?

Thanks in advance mates!
die Wille Gottes wird nie nehmen Sie, wo die Gnade Gottes wird Sie nicht schützen.
~~~~~~
Put a German soldier into a box. Close it as tight as you can.

Write on it´s top the warning: " DO NOT OPEN! ONLY IN CASE OF WAR!"
Pyotr

Re: Inner tube band...

Post by Pyotr »

I have read that the early war ones were red (reddish?).
Later war bands were (again, I read this somewhere!) were black/very dark. Photos seem to show a black color. The bands are not always perfect, cut cut with a knife, and irregular, IE, not perfectly straight.

I don't use one since I fear having something that to a tyre expert will stand out as wrong. However, at the same time, I suspect a modern tyre tube from truck supply garage will work, especially if you avoid any writing on it (maybe "Continental" would be good though!).

Peter
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Go to a tyre fitting workshop and see if they have any punctured truck inner tubes of a suitable size. I had a hunt in my local ones disposal skip and pulled three different sized ones out and luckily one was ideal. If you cut in cross-section (i.e in a radial fashion outwards from the centre) you can equip your entire unit from a single tyre!
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
LHistorian

Post by LHistorian »

Thanks for the info gents! Now the search begins :mrgreen:
die Wille Gottes wird nie nehmen Sie, wo die Gnade Gottes wird Sie nicht schützen.
~~~~~~
Put a German soldier into a box. Close it as tight as you can.

Write on it´s top the warning: " DO NOT OPEN! ONLY IN CASE OF WAR!"
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Most modern cars do not have inner tubes... but old Land Rovers still use them :wink:

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
shultz wuffenbach

Post by shultz wuffenbach »

[quote="Jaws"]Most modern cars do not have inner tubes... but old Land Rovers still use them

9.00 x 16 I would assume would be a good size tube to use.....(also the same size as some tractor front tyres)

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”