Leg wear and dirndls

Moderators: BDMhistorian, Wilder Feger

dink

Leg wear and dirndls

Post by dink »

So the discussion can be moved from the "events" section, but without loosing a possibly interesting conversation that could be continued from this, I'm posting this so that the guff can be continued in the correct section of relevance. I hope this is OK ?

OK dirndls, few of us have them, there was a brief discussion about what to wear on the legs with one, stockings, long socks, ankle socks etc not to mention nothing at all :)

Would be good to see some valued reasoning and any pics if anyone has them ;) I've a few dirndls and I think depending which one I wore is more dependant on leg wear than, event scenario, however thats just my reasoning and from a few pics (and attempting not to make myself look like an over grown grump attempting to recapture youth :lol: )

So serious question, what and why do you wear with ya dirndl ?
Tiger Frau

Re: Leg wear and dirndls

Post by Tiger Frau »

Dink, first of all damn great topic to start on the dirndl! It needs to be discussed-us Madels know of their importance-especially the damn socks, stocking debate!! :shock:

Coming from German family, as you know, I have had many times had the opportunity to discuss the dirndl with the female relatives, and also have worn one for many a year-even long before I even started reenacting! My first dirndl was worn when I was 5 years old, I was in Germany at the time though! Since then I have gone through phases of hating wearing them when I was young-you know mom putting you in it when you go on a sunday outing with Oma and Opa! To now absolutely loving the wonderful things!! :lol:

I was always bought up to wear the long white socks in the colder weather, and also if at a traditional Bayern event day or evening, warm or cold. Ankle socks are more casual, normally worn in the day with a day wear dirndl, shoes either flat Mary-Jane style, or the flat lace ups. Normally just in the warm weather. Now stockings-yes- the male favourite of course! :twisted: -these can be worn at dances, does, and when you wear your more 'going out to an event dirndl'! They were worn in the 1940's by the women, if of course you could get a pair! My Oma and mom wore stockings only for these occasions, they are also worn now by ladies when they wear their best dirndls to dances, does etc, but of course, depending again on the type of event! you can wear your knee lenght socks!
God, this can go on forever!! :shock:

So Madels, it's really all down to your own personal prefurence! Nothing is right or wrong-they all are correct! Personally I prefur stockings at dances, and the socks for not as formal occasions, and day wear.

Wear your dirndl with pride!!!! :twisted:

Michelle
Ich bin nichts, Deutschland ist alles!
dink

Post by dink »

:lol: I think as said in the other post before I shifted it here, was what I wear with mine will be pendant on which dirndl is being worn (yes I'm dink and I'm a compulsive shopaholic :oops: :lol: )

Of the ones I have there are 3 basic themes, I know there are others but when shopping these are the ones that pop up the most often.

High buttoned as in my avatar
Balconet style (squared off across the boobs and Lou's fav style)
Purely a dress same neckline as avatar but minus the need for a blouse underneath.

My personal preference is long socks :oops: with a dirndl, though I think with the dress one I could quite easily wear it with stockings, traditional styled and very 40s without trying (gotta love doing Axis women for ease of some of the clothing like dirndls ;) )

I don't like bare legs, but thats only I don't like my bare legs :lol: period event walking around during the day it would be perfectly acceptable.

Don't get me started on shoes as upto now I've just worn RAF no's 2 I've had for years :lol: again I think the dress one I could wear a heel, but I can't walk in heels well :lol: but you've reminded my mary jane flats need polishing and treating as they've been neglected over winter :lol:

The other thing is hair :lol: I started doing gretchen style braids but may at some point attempt it down. I had excess material from one of my pinnies that I've made into a band (more band than scarf) and am hoping to rag roll my hair and shove a quiff some how at the front and see how it works. But I'd appreciate any suggestions on wtf to do with hair :D

Bags I've a few my monster bag and a shoulder bag which I need to lederfett it as a mate made me it for chrimblea spesh styled on a photo of a helferin. But would be interesting to hear bags preferences ? Oh and I've got a nice hand knitted clutch bag by me :oops: :lol: I've seen/got pictures of women with a variety of styles of bags, but it would I guess be good for those thinking of it that pop on here on day x and think they'll join in knowing a good idea.

And I'll stop there :oops:
Tiger Frau

Post by Tiger Frau »

Dink, loved your post!! :lol: What we have to suffer and put up with the stress of what to wear with our belovered dirndls!!!

Right, here are just some ideas on how you may want your hair-just spoken to my expert on dirndls, my wonderful German Madel mom!! :lol: You said you may want a change from the braids, well, here are a few ideas you may want to copy, but it is entirely upto you love!
1) You can put your hair in one long braid at the back and then take it right over your head, pinning it as you go, and then finish by pinning it at the bottom under where you started the braid. Personal favourite of mine, and Oma and mom, and worn most often in traditional Bayern and in Austria.
2)Two braids, then either cross them across at the back, and pin them, or take each braid and take them over your head like in style one, and pin them together underneath at the back
3) Helga style buns at side of ears! Not too popular with the dirndl, or a bun at back of head, again not too popular with dirndl
4) Lastly, like you suggested Dink, rag roll, or rollars in hair, wear it down, with a Edelweiss clip on the side.

Hope these styles are of help! Lou has asked me on suggestions to do her hair, and I suggested the above styles, and also to do it for her, if she needs help. I'm used to doing the dirndl hairstyles, got my bloody Mom and Oma to thank for that!! :lol:

Onto bags now! :shock: Again, depends on where you are, personally in the day, I wear a leather bag over my shoulder and front, with an edelweiss or ensiean on the front-again Bayern style. In the evening with the dirndl I wll be wearing for the dance, I wear a small clutch style embroided evening bag, on a chain across my shoulder and front, so the arms are free to dance! Again, I wear this in Bayern for evenings and dances, the old ladies who have been bought up there also wear this style, but again down to prefurence Dink! A handheld clutch bag is also fine.
Day wear a larger leather or cloth bag, normally with edelweiss or enseian on, or if very casual dirndl, a small rucksack.

The 3 main dirndls as you said Dink, are like yours with the button up front, blouse, that buttons up and full apron.
My favourite as well! the bodice dirndl, with the low cut dirndl blouse, and apron. I also prefur the midi length just below the knee. Also shows off the cleavage which reminds everyone of Oktoberfest waitresses!!! :twisted:
Lastly, the Landhausmode, more like an all in one dress, with a blouse underneath. Some have an apron, but a lot don't.

I won't go onto the jewellry one wears around the neck with the dirndl, otherwise we will be here all night!!! :lol:

Hope this helps Dink, but whatever me, you and Lou wear, we will look brill!!!! :D
dink

Post by dink »

Shall have to try some new hairdos then at some point 8) though I think I'll pass on No 3 :lol: has that hole bagel thing about it and a bit star wars esq since that famous clip with jabba the hut (wouldn't wear a bikini like that at an event either :lol: )

Jewellry is something I've not even considered :lol: its something on the shopping list for a later point in time ;) :lol:
Tiger Frau

Post by Tiger Frau »

I agree with the bagels-they are for eating and not wearing!!! :lol: I am at the moment going through the jewellry crisis-I have so much, but never what one needs! :shock:
The Sorrow

Post by The Sorrow »

Stupid question, but.... what's a dirndl??
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire." - Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

http://www.frundsberg.co.uk
dink

Post by dink »

Traditional German, Bavarian, Austrian dress. Think you'd look great in one :lol:
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

The Sorrow wrote:Stupid question, but.... what's a dirndl??
really marc..we must educate you more :wink:
"every dog has its' day"
"never pi$$ a guy off who works in a tall glass building who owns a high powered rifle"

manager to real german hairdresser

http://www.motorcyclemedics.page.tl
The Sorrow

Post by The Sorrow »

I don't think a dirndl would go with my eyes, gotta have something that goes with the eyes :wink:
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire." - Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

dink

Post by dink »

It nothing, they come in a few styles and every colour in the rainbow and those inbetween :lol: NEXT excuse ;) :lol:
The Sorrow

Post by The Sorrow »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Female (civilian/military) Re-enacting”