Why my Zundapp did'nt work at Waltham abbey....sheared drive

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

Paulkd

Why my Zundapp did'nt work at Waltham abbey....sheared drive

Post by Paulkd »

So the answer to my pondering was this, one sheared drive shaft, I'm struck that its pretty poorly made, look at the spidery bits of metal on the splines!

Daveydachs! Have you seen this type of thing before, the way it sheared and the poor quality i mean?

Oh and Ive pm'd you mate. ta lots!

New bits orderd from Germany from http://www.zuendapp-aichner.de/
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!
daveydachs

Re: Why my Zundapp did'nt work at Waltham abbey....sheared drive

Post by daveydachs »

what's going on with the end face on the broken bit? looks like it's been grinding against something or it has some kind of button head screw in it or some other bizarre damage/modification :shock: :? ???? I've got a spare one in the garage somewhere, will check out what it's supposed to look like....
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

The button i think is where the bar is mounted on the lathe, the spidery bits look like its half finished!

The splined end just fits into the socket doesnt it? it turns with the cogged bit?
Last edited by Paulkd on Sat May 09, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chorlitz|12.SS|

Post by Chorlitz|12.SS| »

Do Zundapp still exist?
And how do they differ from driving the BMW or post war models?
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

No and yes...

The name is now a moped factory in China.....

Can you clarify your other question?

Zundapps are nothing like BMW's if you mean an R75?

And not much like an R12!

Zundapps both KS600, and KS750 both have pressed frames, the BMW R12 has a pressed frame, the R75 is a tubular modular frame.

Post war Zundapps? Well the KS600 ceased production in 1941 so there is none. Same for the R12.
No post war production for the R75 or the KS750 (lets not talk about piddling amounts made for the occuption forces, rarer than wartime production)

You can not make anything post war look remotly like a Zundapp, or BMW R12.
You can not make anything postwar look remotly like a BMW R75...

Post war stuff can only look like what it is.
they can look "period" but only in a generic "40's bike" kind of way.

les hearn

Post by les hearn »

oh dear paul sorry to hear it
hope ya get it done asap
to be honest it was unusual to not see you with the big grin :wink:
or satisfaction of u riding

is it origional part

i was talking to the chaps at the weatcroft collection and they found a strange bit of machinery missing from one of thier projects

it must have been missing from the factory as it is something that could only have been left off in manufacture
they thought it was a bit of sabotage
maybe it was sabotage on ya parts too
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I would say that it is metal fatigue or bad metal . I say this as there is no sign of twisting on the broken end can I see some more photos paul .
Les parts are still missing of new vehicls my new M.A.N truck had parts missing or was that sabotage :shock:
ImageImageImageImageImage
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

hmm without knicking this thread the parts missing from the tank could only have been deliberately missed out

and yes meatal fatigue was my thought
i spent many a day working metal as i used to work in a foundry (furnaceman)
its easy to send out unsuitable metal or substandard metal.

lots of times we had to re-work items cos id messed up the % mixes of metals and carbons

Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

I'm happy new part on its way from germany, so big grin restored! I dont think the broken one is origional.

Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Answer to Chorlitz

Yes and no I would say

The R75 and the KS750 are VERY similar. 70% of the parts are interchangable. The reason for this is that the German armed forces had a competition between Zundapp and BMW because they saw the shortcommings of the R12 and the KS600. These are "civilian" constructions and the handling characteristics are not made for use with a sidecar. Try to ride a KS750 or a R75 as a solo... The Gilette Herstal's that were captured in 1940 with drive on the sidecar impressed the German army so much they decided to scrap what they had and go for a new design. In the process they redesigned the drive for the sidecar so that it was uneven in powerdistribution. Zundapp won the competition with BMW and BMW had to copy it. They did this VERY reluctantly and the designs are not 100% interchangable. So in reality the R75 is a Zundapp made by BMW one might say. If the war had kept on I have once heard that there were plans for "merging" the two designs completely but I do not know if this was true. The gearbox for the BMW is excellent but it needs a good mechanic. The crappy Zundapp box will work no matter what. The BMW engine is superior and the Zundapp gear box is more suited for wartime manufacture. I am unsure what frame would have been chosen but I believe (guess??) that the advanced looong weldings on the KS750 frames would rule in favour of the R75 which is a simple (read:oldfashioned) and straightforward design. I am aware thet a Kardan with integral gearbox was at least made as prototypes at the end but the final design is an open question.

What I do know is that between 1949 and 1951 Zundapp assembled 302 KS600's before they started the manufacture of the KS601 that was made from 1951-1958. I am unsure if they were able to exceed 1000 units of the KS601. The reason it stayed in production at all after WW2 is most likely that the KS600 (solo) was the fastest bike Wehrmacht had. A favourite with dispatch riders and Feldgendarmerie. In the end Zundapp became Chinese. I have heard that the Chinese has made a copy of a KS (KardanSport) but I am unsure of it as I have never seen one.

If you get hold of a WW2 russian gespann or one made shortly after it will be very close to a BMW R71 but the more modern ones you should forget. Russian "improvements" has degenerated the design to a stage where a conversion to a WW2 look alike is indeed a loong project. Start with getting a post ww2 BMW R60 engine and get new ball bearings everywhere. And for someone who knows just a bit it is an almost instant giveaway.
Last edited by Enigma on Sun May 10, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

Paulkd wrote:I'm happy new part on its way from germany, so big grin restored! I dont think the broken one is origional.
ha didnt think the gloom would last long
we miss the grin paul :wink:
:lol: :lol:

daveydachs

Post by daveydachs »

:cry: :cry: poor zundapp gearboxes, I still love you, don't listen to the nasty man :evil: :evil:
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

daveydachs wrote::cry: :cry: poor zundapp gearboxes, I still love you, don't listen to the nasty man :evil: :evil:

I love Zundapp(600) gearboxes too, I love my chains...

As for Zundapp ks 750 and BMW r75 being almost the same??????

Where do I even start....

The frames, the gearboxes the cranks.....

Hurmph....

Return to “Vehicles”