BMW R71

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

Paulkd

Re: BMW R71

Post by Paulkd »

Yes James!!!

Ive said it before but I started with a DKW, then traded up to my KS600.

DKW fun!

Ks600 in the garden...

Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!
HGKanonier

Post by HGKanonier »

jimmyvonk wrote:
HGKanonier wrote:Here's an R-71, ready to go, only 9000 Euro:

http://www.oldtimergarage.szn.pl/store/ ... 4408bcb512
It's not a BMW R71 - It's a REPLICA!!! It even says so on the advert!!!!

For 9000 Euro you can get a shit hot REAL GERMAN bike, not that piece of communist crap built by some itinerant farmers in a fu*king tractor factory!

END OF MESSAGE
I'm aware that it is a replica, however it is better than just slapping some panzergrey paint and beemer emblems on a CJ or Dnepr and calling it a warbike.
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

HGKanonier wrote: I'm aware that it is a replica, however it is better than just slapping some panzergrey paint and beemer emblems on a CJ or Dnepr and calling it a warbike.
It's a Ural M72 with a new tank and civvy paint and beemer emblems slapped on - sounds exactly the same to me.

And for 9000 euro you'd be getting bummed sideways if you baught it. :lol:

OR - You could go and buy a original bike, built in Germany before 1945 and ride the real thing, and feel what it was like to ride the real thing, suffer the problems of the real thing - AND PRESERVE A PIECE OF HISTORY IN THE PROCESS! :D

I assume you'd prefer to wear a restored original German helmet shell to a cheep Chinese copy, so why on a much more impressive purchase lower your standards?

I have to say I have nothing against Urals or other Eastern machinery, but I often think it's a shame for them to lose there identity - be much cooler to see one in Khaki with the Red star and a Degtyaryov! :)

IMHO a much better starting point is an original solo bike - if you can live with and enjoy that for a year, you know the much bigger and more expensive purchase is the way to go. And so much choice!
BMW, Zundapp, NSU, DKW, Ardie, Victoria, Triumph(Nurenberg), Wandere, Puch, D-rad, Adler, Horex, Express - or maybe a Moto-Guzzi or Gnome-Rhone?

Sorry for my ramblings folks - I just love old bikes and would like to see more of them, more variation and more preserved. :)

If I have to see another 70's Ural painted in B&Q gray primer I'm gonna puke - I don't even like it in Indiana Jones. :twisted:
SS UntSch. Karl Schneider.
1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte AH - SBG
HGKanonier

Post by HGKanonier »

Sometimes sarcasm is lost in the translation. Original shell? Naw. I'm open to comprimise. But where do you draw the line? CJ750 6volt, ok; K750, NFW?

9000 Euro for a dolled-up M72, fuhgeddabowdit! But, I hear Invention-Bikes has a nice original, complete with 1940 Dutch registration..... :roll:

We had a guy show up with a Dnepr MT16, OHV, complete with 'toaster' fuel tank, so proud that he had the camouflage paint, computer matched.

For what? Afghanistan?

I bought without having done proper research, now the project is about 50% overbudget. And all the frustration getting the mechanicals overhauled while off the frame, all the blood, sweat and tears.....I don't think I would have paid 9000 Euro for the above bike, but, I think I should have spend the additional $, had it on the road, and saved myself the frustration.

Hey! Why not save a few $, mount a CJ750 or Ural sidecar assy to an R12? Who cares if it warps the heck out of the frame? Don't do it!

Sign up on the Yahoo Kradmelder Group, Dneprheads, CJ Experience....learn from other's mistakes, save yourself the wasted $ and headaches.
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

I agree with the above! The yahoo group is a superb source of "proper" expertise.

Oh Invention bikes is the term for Investment bikes...

Every bike has a story and the ones they tell get bigger and bigger!!!
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!
Steinmetz

Post by Steinmetz »

Mike - Sell the Evo!!!!!!

Er, but don't tell Jane.............. She won't mind!!!!!!!!

Oh, it's good to be back in blighty. Roll on W&P!

Cheers
Geordie
SS-U.f.w. Steinmetz
SBG Mechanics Section - Keeping the Reich rolling since '33!

Return to “Vehicles”