Use of Balkankreuze on Vehicle Doors

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

Hoffman Grink

Use of Balkankreuze on Vehicle Doors

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Of late I am seeing a resurgence of the "Airfix/Commando Comix" practice of big, bold Balkankreuze on the doors of small, light and medium softskin vehicles........ I have always been under the impression that it was not done or at least not common practice to mark a small vehicle with this insignia. Would people care to enlighten me as to if I am right or wrong. Where do those who mark their vehicles up in this manner get their references from?
Thank you
Grinkwinky.
Franz repper

Re: Use of Balkankreuze on Vehicle Doors

Post by Franz repper »

Hoffman Grink wrote:Of late I am seeing a resurgence of the "Airfix/Commando Comix" practice of big, bold Balkankreuze on the doors of small, light and medium softskin vehicles........ I have always been under the impression that it was not done or at least not common practice to mark a small vehicle with this insignia. Would people care to enlighten me as to if I am right or wrong. Where do those who mark their vehicles up in this manner get their references from?
Thank you
Grinkwinky.
My good and dear Fwbl Grinkwinky having a very quick look throw the regs I can only find a referance to painting the Balkankreuze on captured softskins this is to aid in poroper identification I will look into it more a bit later
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Indeed Kamerad Repper - a large Balkankreuze on a captured mark would certainly be required - Not so Kubels and Blitzes etc. Foreign Trucks etc. as in the case of the esteemed Mr Hearn's lovely French number - I am simply under the impression that this is a Historical inaccuracy but need guidance.........
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

You right, the only marking should be the loading lable on the left door, thats it...

Apologies to les but I would question the use of the cross on his renault....

None of the bedfords I have seen pics of have any extra markings for their new german users.
The odd crudly daubed "WH" over the top of the brit stenciling on the mudgaurd of vehicles "just captured" would seem to be it, but in proper service? No just the standard stencils.
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

lots of pics of softskin cars and trucks in the book "Ruckmarsche" not a cross in sight!

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Paulkd wrote:You right, the only marking should be the loading lable on the left door, thats it...

Apologies to les but I would question the use of the cross on his renault....

None of the bedfords I have seen pics of have any extra markings for their new german users.
The odd crudly daubed "WH" over the top of the brit stenciling on the mudgaurd of vehicles "just captured" would seem to be it, but in proper service? No just the standard stencils.
Um yes they did I have seen loads of photos with the Balkankreuze on Vehicle Doors ,But saying that I have seen loads with out the Balkankreuze but this was on trucks with German bodys on them
With
Without
I think this is one of those topics that we will go round and round all day on :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

Hoffman Grink wrote:Indeed Kamerad Repper - a large Balkankreuze on a captured mark would certainly be required - Not so Kubels and Blitzes etc. Foreign Trucks etc. as in the case of the esteemed Mr Hearn's lovely French number - I am simply under the impression that this is a Historical inaccuracy but need guidance.........
You also see on captured civilian vehicles the painted in white "WH".
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

Yes that Canadian Chevy in Greece is stil in its Brit camo and markings and so of course the oversized Crosses are a good idea BUT those Morris trucks are a standard type used in german service, so no marking other than the regulation type required.

So Kubels etc no crosses ever. Endless renault ANH trucks and Citroen trucks, no crosses, Fords etc no crosses so on and so on....

Captured Sherman in Tunisia? lots of normnal sized crosses on the hull and turret, T34? Oversized crosses.....

No crosses is the standard and one that should be adhered to.

panzerschreck

Post by panzerschreck »

Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

You can never say 'never' about anything to do with German WW2 vehicles but I would venture to suggest it is the exception rather than the rule... :D

Edit: this was a comment on a pic of a kubel in Libya with side and rear balkenkreuz posted above... which now seems to have disappeared...???
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
panzerschreck

Post by panzerschreck »

im a sorry was not a Balkenkreuz on the Kübel but a red cross. Thats why i delete the post.

Here again the Picture:

May be you see a lot of Kübelwagen with Balkenkreuz in the Movies because of thi picture. It looks similar.
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

well as me name is mentioned ....

the cross was atached due to me first purchase of vehicle ..and being "green" at the time i got it i did not know beter

the only reason it is still on is simply because the vehicle has not been repainted since i got it
if i repainted the doors id ruin the grey i got now

it will however be updated this year ready for its outing next year minus cross and with added square on side
i have an origional captured renault same as the truck but in car form with origional cammo (late war) and origional side square and info on the doors still that was captured and used after being painted by the germans in 44
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

Les I will be perving over your truck next show season,as for your car, well....you know what I'm like around the vehicles!

qoute "it will however be updated this year ready for its outing next year minus cross and with added square on side
i have an origional captured renault same as the truck but in car form with origional cammo (late war) and origional side square and info on the doors still that was captured and used after being painted by the germans in 44" end quote

Sounds superb!! 21st panzer isnt it? this is your "bridge" car? what a find!!!!

les hearn

Post by les hearn »

hi paul not sure of its origins
it was however reputed to have been used by the flak crew near the bridge

it has lots of allied holes in it tho they will be staying :wink:
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

Do you have any pics (how it looks now) to share, or are you saving that for later?

Oh is it Primaquatre? or Juvequatre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Primaquatre

Return to “Vehicles”