1936 NSU 201 ZDB

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

Paulkd

Re: 1936 NSU 201 ZDB

Post by Paulkd »

Fantastic job sir!

as for the two stroke mix, I dont think they carried it pre-mixed, remember the filler cap on the DKW is also the measure?

Hold that thought! go look at my fuel can thread, someone has yellow/blue marked premix cans for the gen sets!

Also in my fuel can perv book there is a Kreigsmarine can clearly marked "Krad" and the number "64772" Fuel for bike 64772 i would say!

Why not get a can, give it the red/yellow markings and label it for your bike?
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!
ArtD

Post by ArtD »

First off, hello everyone! About three years ago I acquired one of these, in fact, this one here is the closest one to mine that I have ever seen. I have a 1935 NSU 201 ZDB. I have never tried to start it, and I know nothing at all about it. It needs a battery, as far as I can see that's about all I can see that it needs to run. Of course, it also needs the knowledge of the controls, etc. This is an open letter to Jimmy (who's machine is fantastic!!) and to anyone else who knows anything about these rare and unusual motorcycles: where can I get parts and information?? NSU Motzke, which is mentioned often seems to be out of business. who has parts and literature who can talk to me in English? I should mention that I am in the USA. I would love some Panniers, where can I get a set? what is a good book that will give me some of the period pictures that I need to make it right appearance-wise? I think the paint might well be correct, can anyone help me out there? Here is a link to some pics that are up on my website
http://www.memorylaneracing.com/nsu/index1.htm . My plans are to get the old girl running, make it as period correct as I can for a Wehrmacht messenger bike, which I believe would have been the correct use, right? and then simply enjoy, maybe go to some re-enactments, shows, etc. Any and all help will be very much appreciated!! Thanks Folks!!
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

lovely bike ! ,
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

Hello Art,

Welcome - and good luck on your restoration.

As mentioned before I got the bulk of my parts from NSU MOTZKE http://www.nsu-motzke.de/ I'm prity sure they are still going as he updated his website with new bits recently.

I'll be more than happy to help with any specs you need, carb settings, ignition etc.

Your bike is one I have seen many times with various people and first turned up for sale by the infamous Investment Bikes in holland, well know sheisters and krad con merchants. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it may be less special than what you have been told.

Just having a look quickly at the bit's that are not as per manual, rear light, front lamp mountings, fuel system, wiring, ignition coil is diff and should be mounted inside generator, horn on the wrong side of the bike, seat mountings etc.

I think to find the true history of this bike, the best bet would be to carefully sand down the paint, underneath I suspect it's the black of a civvy bike like mine. Or look inside the headlamp shell, tool box, any parts that are bolted together. I feel this has received a quick spray over and an exciting new history from Investment bikes.
I'd love to be proved wrong but it's been the case with many bikes from them in the past.
I'd take the brass tank badge with a pinch of salt to be honest, and the waffenampt looks to be in the wrong place (should be next to the engine number if anywhere) and you can buy repro punches to do these stamps... I've got a waffenampt on my 1997 Enfield Bullet. ;)
There would also be one on the typeplate, which should be riveted to the frame infront of the seat mount next to the frame number - not scrwed in behind as per your's.

Good Info here http://www.sittingmax.de/html/zdb-modelle.html I just copied whole chunks into a translation program like babelfish and you can make the jist of it - worth getting the manual from Motzke and a german phrase book. :)

The 201 ZDB was built in quite large numbers, and also shares a number of parts with the 251 OSL wich was also a big seller, so parts turn up on e-bay quite often - but Motzke has almost everything on a click to buy basis.

Before trying to start here up i would advise taking the top end and barrel off and checking for play and grunchy running in the main bearings - if all ok, set the timing and settings as per manual, get a battery, fresh fuel and get in the mood for lots of kicking - when mines not run for a few weeks she's a bugger to start, once warm a joy! :)

During my resoration, I did...
New Barrel and piston & rings (Warn piston, smashed fins of barrel)
Ignition coil (missing)
All rubbers, cables, gaskets, seat covers etc. (usual for any restoration)
Main bearings (Replacements are easily available from bearing dealers)
Wheel bearings.
Brake shoes relined.
New tyres etc.
New wiring loom, new battery, new rear light with fitting for twin filliment bulb to take breaklight, fitted a brake light switch.
Full strip and respray.
New Carb (your's looks quite new anyway)
erm... and lot's of other pissy bits.
As for the Military fittings, apart from a headlamp cover and some panniers, you'll need to make up the brackets for the panniers to fit onto... I adjusted a repro set for a DKW 350 NZ and made all new mountings to mount to the NSU rear rack - I can do you some drawrings when that time comes.

Gearbox takes 300 ccm straight 40 weight, Primary takes 20 weight to level plug. Fuel is premix 1:20 good quality 2 stroke oil.
Battery 6v 7ah,
Plugs... are weird and huge.. Zündkerze Bosch M175 T1 18 mm.

Any questions - drop me a line, glad to help another ZDBer!

:)
SS UntSch. Karl Schneider.
1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte AH - SBG
Sturmschar

Post by Sturmschar »

I say James old chap well done!
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

Sturmschar wrote:I say James old chap well done!
Thank you master..

(Exit left - Sound of chain's dragging along concrete)
SS UntSch. Karl Schneider.
1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte AH - SBG
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

very nice job! :D :D
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75

Return to “Vehicles”