Paint your wagon

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

Hoffman Grink

Re: Paint your wagon

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Seems they are like buses Botty! You wait ages and then two come along together! HA HA HA HA

Stick with yours mate - and stick to the plan. Can't wait to see her.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

How much paint do you need to paint a small truck/car?
The KDF will need some touching up as I'm swapping some bits out so I might as well do the whole lot? I dont think I'll change the scheme much, I like the look.
KDF

Post by KDF »

I`d say no more than 2 litres of it in total.Depends on the colour/s you are covering up/how good the paint type/covering power is.

It`s best to buy more than that if you need to re-spray/repair parts...IMHO

Stigroadie wrote:How much paint do you need to paint a small truck/car?
The KDF will need some touching up as I'm swapping some bits out so I might as well do the whole lot? I dont think I'll change the scheme much, I like the look.
Founder member of AFRA.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

KDF wrote:I`d say no more than 2 litres of it in total.Depends on the colour/s you are covering up/how good the paint type/covering power is.

It`s best to buy more than that if you need to re-spray/repair parts...IMHO

Stigroadie wrote:How much paint do you need to paint a small truck/car?
yep I would go with that point of intrest that VW during the war did not use Ltrs but KG when dealing with paint eg 17kg to paint a Kübelwagen
ImageImageImageImageImage
Botty

Post by Botty »

eg 17kg to paint a Kübelwagen
Really? That would equal 17L of water. Assuming the pigment weights a bit you are still looking at over 10L of paint at least.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Botty good sir I will try and look up the number to make shure I have remembered correctly
ImageImageImageImageImage
Botty

Post by Botty »

And what finish would be authentic? Was full matt available in the 40's? Should it be satin/eggshell?
KDF

Post by KDF »

Botty wrote:And what finish would be authentic? Was full matt available in the 40's? Should it be satin/eggshell?
I know top of the range cars back in the 30`s could be full gloss painted vehicles, if you look at some of the 1930`s cars that are restored you can see they are to the standard from back then. Also it was still where they were coach built and still brush painted or sprayed.Bearing in mind they could have upto 20 coats of paint...

The most universal colour would have been Black...I`m unsure what a Ford made in Russia would have been painted,but a darker,simpler and practical paint scheme would have been used for a small truck (?).....
Founder member of AFRA.
Botty

Post by Botty »

Thinking more of finish rather than colour.
KDF

Post by KDF »

Full gloss or semi gloss or matt finish is my guess.

Botty wrote:Thinking more of finish rather than colour.
Founder member of AFRA.
GD,obergrenadier

Post by GD,obergrenadier »

Henry ford said "I'll paint it any color you like,as long as its black" that being said Ford had plants in Germany and Russia, and the standerd "out the door" color was likely black the new owners would then paint it whatever they liked,as for paint application your Ford when new was hand painted (its a 1928-31 right?)when the army "ahem"..."aquired" it they would have painted it in standard military colors and added the Noteck light set (a retrofit kit,very much reqired for convoys) I imagine the quality of the work paintwise (in a period setting)wouldn't be all that great (paint overspray, drips,etc) not to mention the interior would still be the old color (I can't imagine the painters taking the time to repaint the interior) overall a sweet piece of kit (I envy you, no more walking to your battles).ps,the top photo is a 1/4 ton Ford pickup, the bottom (period photo) shows a 1.5 or 3ton version,same cab&hood and slightly different radiater shell(look at lower part of the grill you'll see the extension between the fenders)which one is yours?.
Botty

Post by Botty »

Mine is the top 1/4 ton truck. See my other thread if you want a 1.5T one.

Return to “Vehicles”