Need help with motorcycles

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

ssparatrooper

Re: Need help with motorcycles

Post by ssparatrooper »

m72 is the russian copy of a BMW R71 the tooling was then sold to china they made the cj750 with some work the cj750 will look like an R71, R61 or R51 (icannot remember off the top of me head one is side valve one is OHV and one has plunger sus) depending on if you hard tail it or leave the plunger suspension on, the russian m72 is rare in its own right nowdays the chaigjiangs are more common.

dont try and make it look like an R75 it is not big enough!!!! they will only look like an R71 (much to my mates discust that has a real one lol) dont bother putting a mg34 on it they were omly one in three and then 2 in four then the krads were phased out and replaced by kubels then schwimmers then spvs.

the krads for £35000 are the big KS750/R75s you can get a project KS600 or an R12 for much less than that it will cost you money in the long run but it will be an investment and they are real, i am a bit of a snob when it comes to krads but you spend your money on what you want, we only have one cjiangjiang thing in our group and it has been very converted and it is overshadowed by the real ones (its dont even come with the krads in the battles)
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

put one next to a real one and you will see the difference
RUSS

Post by RUSS »

If a Russian or chinese copy is all you can afford then dont worry about it , theres nothing wrong with these bikes .
I no people might say there crap but dont listen if thats all you can afford then thats fine mate .
We would all like to buy original but for some of us we have a morgage and a family to feed .
Just keep one thing in mind and that its only a hobby and anyone says different then they need to get out more .
best of luck
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

you are correct there is nothing wrong with them, they start,go, look and steer just like russian and chinese motorcycles mega!
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

mine cost 4 grand and at the time i got it, i did not have a pot to piss in so you can do it you just have to wait and save, i too have all the bills we all do :roll: i do worry about wearing it out but its immortal and can be repaired with parts unlike us lol
hubner dave

Post by hubner dave »

so no ural :S im confused as i said i am a newbie to the topic. Basically what ive gathered is Urals are smaller and require modification just to look like a german bike. Thing is ive found one for £850
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

they do not look like ww2 german bikes, it dont matter if it is 250 quid you need to get a chiang jiang, you can get one for 1000 pounds and you will be able over time to add bits to make it better and it will look more like a german R71 as i have said, but if you have no attention to detail and just want a bike with a side car then crack on im sure you will enjoy it as much as i do mine but it will alllways look like a russian bike because you cannot convert them it will cost allmost as much as a real one!
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

Peiper wrote:
jimmyvonk wrote:Sorry, I must have got lost somewhere - this thread started with someone asking about GERMAN motorcycles, and you'r all suggesting he gets some russian peasant crap... how very strange. :twisted:

ZUNDAPP, BMW, NSU, DKW, D-RAD, VICTORIA, TRIUMPH (Nurenberg), WANDERER, PUCH, SACHS, ARDIE ETC.

"If nothing worthwhile is easy, then Zundappps are the most worthwhile project"
Sorry the poster was asking for AFFORDABLE alternatives ???

Not everybody has got a spare 20 or 30 grand lying about !!! :roll:
Why would you need to pay £30k? Only if you plan to get a fully restored heavy krad (and even then your pushing it - well you would be eventually... :lol: )
I'm sure that for the cost of a fully converted URAL/chang jiang you could get an original pre '45 combination in running order - even a scruffy original is far better than the most pristine commie tractor IMHO.
And you would fully convert the URAL wouldn't you - not just paint it in B&Q gray primer and mount an MG42 on it... cos that looks crap - a full conversion would cost a couple of grand to get it even close to right.

My NSU cost £800.. probably another £3k to restore... my Wanderer cost probably £800 all told - the time spent restoring them is another thing - hundreds of hours, but worth putting in on an original, I don't think I could be bothered on a copy. :evil:
I suppose it's all about how much you want to put into it... Same as reenacting as a whole... some people put in the hours, others just skim the surface. :roll:
SS UntSch. Karl Schneider.
1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte AH - SBG
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

It would be lovely to own an original WWII BMW and sidecar, I wish I could, but the chair is on the wrong side for UK road use. The last time I looked into this, they will not get a MOT for UK roads. So transporting the thing to events means a van and trailer. This increases your costs. (Do you have trailer entitlement on your driving licence?)
Something else to consider hubner dave.

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Jim

Post by Jim »

Jaws wrote:It would be lovely to own an original WWII BMW and sidecar, I wish I could, but the chair is on the wrong side for UK road use. The last time I looked into this, they will not get a MOT for UK roads. So transporting the thing to events means a van and trailer. This increases your costs. (Do you have trailer entitlement on your driving licence?)
Something else to consider hubner dave.

Regards,

Gary.
As far as i remeber pre 1981 combinations can have the sidecar on either side, also if you passed your car test before 1997 you do not need to have seperate entitlement on your licence to pull a trailor.
SWB
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

my 1939 BMW is road legal with a sidecar, it has a tax disc on it and i ride it all the time
hubner dave

Post by hubner dave »

hmmm extreme confusion, so basically if i dont get a real one it wont look right unless i spend 3,000

:(
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

post a picture of it, it might be better than mine we could swop or not.
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

ssparatrooper wrote:post a picture of it, it might be better than mine we could swop or not.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Hans Gowert wrote:
ssparatrooper wrote:post a picture of it, it might be better than mine we could swop or not.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's worth a try Hans, you never know... :lol:

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation

Return to “Vehicles”