Vehicle Comms and Safety

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

ssparatrooper

Re: Vehicle Comms and Safety

Post by ssparatrooper »

Got mittuns

I tried those PMR radios there rubbish, i have 30 sets at work there not suitable that's why we use the other stuff, like i said we actually have two serving warrant officers and a color man at the events where we use the radio kit so im sure were covered but if you disagree feel free to come and bang your tabs in to them and de-brief them im sure your superior comms knowledge will impress them.

At no time did i say you were talking out of youre arse? but it seems to me you take me for a mug? i was only a lowly stand 2 radio operator in 3 para but i know how to use it and if it emits that much radiation (349s & 351s) i must glow in the dark and why were they both the standard section and platoon manpac radios for 30 years? mind you they used to throw me out of planes that were not on fire so they didn't care lol
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

ssparatrooper wrote:Got mittuns

I tried those PMR radios there rubbish, i have 30 sets at work there not suitable that's why we use the other stuff, like i said we actually have two serving warrant officers and a color man at the events where we use the radio kit so im sure were covered but if you disagree feel free to come and bang your tabs in to them and de-brief them im sure your superior comms knowledge will impress them.

At no time did i say you were talking out of youre arse? but it seems to me you take me for a mug? i was only a lowly stand 2 radio operator in 3 para but i know how to use it and if it emits that much radiation (349s & 351s) i must glow in the dark and why were they both the standard section and platoon manpac radios for 30 years? mind you they used to throw me out of planes that were not on fire so they didn't care lol
At the end of the day theres no need for me to come bang my tabs in, if you want to view the situation "militarily", information can be passed up and down the ranks - its for the MFWIC's to decide whether they want to use that information or not. Its no skin off my nose what you do.
You've had 3 people say the same thing to you, but why am I the only one who's supposed to be taking you for a mug?

Anyway, which PMR's did you have and how long ago was it that you used them? I had heard they were pretty crap, but my opinion changed when I used the handheld motorola stuff in Cyprus last year and the only problems we encountered with it was when we were in the basin of mountain-ranges. This was balanced by force signals putting repeater masts up. But your not really operating over 15km in rocky environment, unless your getting interfearence when using the walkie-talkies inside the vehicle? Which could be helped by mounting an antenna and using the two-way boxed sets with the old "breaker-breaker rubber duck" style handset.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Hi all lets try to keep it on equipment, no one is muck slinging, we are all supposed to be Mates on here .... its a sorry state of affairs when a lot of us has done a bit for queen and country, and we all start taking it personally, :roll:

So without any malice...... looking at what we knew 10 - 20 years a go on radiation from antennas was limited

But look at the hoorah on mobile phone? radiation now .... ( i know its on different freq )
you like us SSparatrooper are trained on service, use and operational uses .......but how many others are ?
its no good us having the kit and the majority of the others clueless,

So we are left with rank amateurs let loose with kit they have no idea on the operational limitations,

I cannot see a WO getting a green light to use / hand out kit to none trained personnel and not knowing what state there kit is in he would need to go very high up the greasy pole for higher authorization.

...... so we are left with something mr joe public can use thats why we all suggested PMR

lets keep it lighter Rich :)
AFRA member
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

Im not taking anything personally? im taking the piss most of the time

The radios at work are brand new intrinsically safe ones for uses in confined spaces and i dont rate them, the blokes in the sbg using the comms are either serving or have so we all understand the vp & callsigns etc so we do all right, Paul brought this topic up to try and get everyone to sing off the same song sheet all i have done is said how we do it not what anyone else should do, you have raised valid points and i have taken them on board and i think as long as we borrow the kit etc we will continue to use it, im not a radio geek and only use it when we are there as a tool i have a load of it but only for that.

Morse tapping is not something i would be doing on my own, i have far to many books with pictures in to look at..........out

(i think that means i have finished and do not expect a reply) but i might be wrong lol
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

I respect everyone opinions, best regards Rich :D thats me signing off too
AFRA member
meyer

Post by meyer »

Hmmmm am thinking some people have missed the point here, we need some thing that we can all use without major training, a license,begin ex-forces, or running the risk of growing 2 heads.As far as i can see clansman don't do any of the above.
Hauser

Post by Hauser »

Hi Meyer nope no one has missed the point ...i don't think ? .....were were discussing the pros and cons, of both systems ? now its down to the individual user, to make his or her own decision what they fancy, you have been given both sides of the coin, (all there in the last 8 posts) so what's your poison sir ? M.O.D KIT OR P.M.R the choice is now yours ?
AFRA member
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Correct me if im wrong but isnt the 351 24 volts ? maybe KK can let us know how they power them ie do you permantly fix the radios into the vehicles adnd use seperate 24 volt batteries for the radios or do you just use the attacked rechargeable batteries.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
meyer

Post by meyer »

KIS = keep it simlpes =pmr . have used these for 3 years at trafford centre apart from the odd taxi message they worked just fine.
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

I use rechargeable batteries with the correct charging stuff, either 28v or 14v charging circuits via the proper 240v adapter, you can plumb them into the stuff like the 432/stugs as there is im sure some way of doing it via the 432 loom? but i just put them into artillery rucksacks as they fit nice (i need to put them into the bags the af gear comes in to stop the batteries cutting though the bags)
Crazy Feldgendarme

Ah i see how long do the batteries last can they be recharged of a vehicle or do they need a mains connection.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

we have the petrol charger or a standard gene that puts out 240v is ok, it can be charged anywhere just a bit of admin to do it
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

If we do a private battle at mereworth for instance one battery will last each radio for the whole day, i give them a spare but they dont use them and i fully drain them when finished to ensure they take a full charge
Crazy Feldgendarme

Thanks mate that answers my questions perfectly 8)

GeFoPo
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

whilst we are talking about alleged doing things beyond the law ...and not being heard in the field...cos of ranges

has any one ever thought about who is reading this thread?
:wink:

cos in know it aint just us reading this :wink:
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.

Return to “Vehicles”